ASHLAND, Va. – Randolph-Macon Women's Volleyball earned the second set victory, but Virginia Wesleyan was able to continue to push to victory as the Marlins earned their first ODAC Championship on Saturday afternoon.
Score: Virginia Wesleyan 3, Randolph-Macon 1
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gymnasium
Records: VWU (28-7), R-MC (25-7)
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon struggled in the opening frame. The Yellow Jackets earned the slight edge 3-2, but VWU earned 11 of the next 13 to take an eight-point lead. The Yellow Jackets got as close as four, but Virginia Wesleyan closed out the set 25-17.
- R-MC used the set loss to power back in the second set. The Yellow Jackets scored the first five points and used that advantage to keep the pressure on. VWU got on a 6-1 run that brought the Marlins within three, but R-MC went for six in a row to all but put the set away, winning 25-15.
- The third set was marked by an early tight battle. The teams fought to a 5-5 tie. R-MC earned a two-point advantage after a VWU attack error, but VWU powered to the next five points and the next nine of 11 overall, taking the 14-9 lead. Randolph-Macon got as close as four late, but VWU got the set victory 25-17.
- R-MC found itself behind again in the fourth set. VWU battled ahead early, but R-MC rallied off five of six to get a small advantage. VWU did not allow that to stand long as the Marlins came storming back to go ahead by four at 12-9. The Yellow Jackets scored four of the next five to earn the tie at 13-13, where the teams began trading points. VWU got a solid run of 6-1 to go ahead 19-15, but R-MC returned the favor with seven of the next nine. With VWU still ahead, R-MC was able to pull even with the Marlins to 24-24. The teams began trading points back and forth in the final stages until the Marlins earned the set and match victory at 29-27.
Inside The Numbers
- Senior Bailey Jones (Suffolk, Va. / Norfolk Collegiate) led the Yellow Jackets with 16 kills. Senior Miranda Hall (Mechanicsville, Va./Hanover) was close behind with 15 kills, while freshman Grace Parker (Andover, N.J. / Pope John XXIII) had ten.
- Senior Kai Cunningham (Virginia Beach, Va. / Kempsville) had seven blocks to lead the team. Parker and senior Alexia Wolfe (Midlothian, Va. / James River) each had three.
- Parker led the Yellow Jackets with 18 digs.
- Senior Angela Tender (Manassas, Va. / Stone Bridge) had 28 assists in the contest. Sophomore Macguire Gubba (Grove City, Pa. / Grove City Area School District) added 13.
- Gubba and junior Kristina Smith (Virginia Beach, Va. / Cape Henry) earned a service ace each.
- This was R-MC's second runner-up placement in as many years, while VWU earned its first-ever ODAC title.
All-Tournament Team Selected
Randolph-Macon earned a pair of performers on the All-Tournament squad. Hall earned a spot after leading the team in kills over the course of the tournament, gaining 38 in total across three contests. Sophomore Madison Warlick (Charlottesville, Va./Albemarle) earned a spot on the All-Tournament team for collecting 55 digs over the same three matches, including 15 in the Championship game.
As a regionally-ranked squad, Randolph-Macon will see if its resume earns it an at-large place in the NCAA Tournament. The selection show will be on Monday, Nov. 11 at 12:30 PM. The show will stream at ncaa.com