ROANOKE, Va. – Senior Angela Tender (Manassas, Va. / Stone Bridge) set a new season-high for assists, tallying 29 of them, as the Yellow Jackets won for the second time in as many nights, defeating Old Dominion Athletic Conference foe Hollins on Thursday night. Tender was also key in service, collecting three service aces.
Score: Randolph-Macon 3, Hollins 0 (28-26, 25-11, 25-15)
Location/Venue: Roanoke, Va./Hollins Gymnasium
Records: Randolph-Macon (12-3, 6-0 ODAC), Hollins (12-9, 2-5 ODAC)
How It Happened
- After R-MC took the lead 2-0, neither team managed a lead of more than three until midway through the frame. That was when R-MC hit a short 4-0 run, which put it ahead 17-13. But Hollins fought back to the 22-22 tie. The teams battled back-and-forth that way until R-MC ended it with a pair of points, the first coming on a kill by freshman Grace Parker (Andover, N.J. / Pope John XXIII). The Yellow Jackets earned the 28-26 set win.
- The story was far different in the second set. R-MC rattled of the first eight points, which set them up for the remainder of the frame. Hollins never got closer than eight as the Yellow Jackets won 25-11.
- Hollins found its footing again in the third set though. After R-MC got the early lead, HU earned the 4-4 tie before R-MC inched the score up again. Hollins again advanced on the Yellow Jackets and earned ties at 10-10 and 12-12. But that was as close as the Yellow Jackets allowed the hosts to get as an 11-1 run helped put Randolph-Macon ahead for good as R-MC closed the set and the match with a 25-15 victory.
Inside The Numbers
- Sophomore Sydney Koch (Raleigh, N.C. / Sanderson) led the Yellow Jackets with 11 kills. She had a hitting percentage of .579, making no errors on 19 attacks. Senior Miranda Hall (Mechanicsville, Va. / Hanover) followed close behind with eight kills. Senior Alexia Wolfe (Midlothian, Va. / James River) finished with seven.
- Tender's 29 assists led the way for R-MC, which marked a new season-high for the senior. Sophomore Macguire Gubba (Grove City, Pa. / Grove City Area School District) added six assists as well.
- R-MC was active at the net again, much like last night against Washington and Lee. The Yellow Jackets finished with eight total blocks, with R-MC being led by freshman Jordan Davis-Allen (Powhatan, Va. / Powhatan), who had four blocks. Wolfe and Koch were close behind with three each. All three recorded one solo block.
- Sophomore Madison Warlick (Charlottesville, Va. / Albemarle) led the team defensively with ten digs. Tender fell into second tonight for R-MC with nine digs, while Parker added eight.
- Tender's three service aces paced Randolph-Macon, with Parker added two. R-MC finished with seven total aces.
- Randolph-Macon had one of its best sets in terms of hitting percentage this season, finishing with a nearly .478 clip in the second frame. The Yellow Jackets made just one error while putting down 12 kills.
Randolph-Macon is in the midst of a seven-match road trip. The Yellow Jackets next face Virginia Wesleyan on Tuesday at 7:00 PM in Virginia Beach.