ASHLAND, Va. – Randolph-Macon's play at the net was superior and it was the spark needed to help the Yellow Jackets defeat Washington and Lee Wednesday night. The Yellow Jackets made 12 team blocks en route to the crucial Old Dominion Athletic Conference victory.
Score: Randolph-Macon 3, Washington & Lee 1 (23-25, 27-25, 25-20, 25-21)
Location/Venue: Lexington, Va./Duchossois Tennis Center
Records: Randolph-Macon (11-3, 5-0 ODAC), Washington and Lee (13-5, 3-3 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Both teams found their respective grooves early, setting up what would be a back-and-forth set. W&L looked to be on a streak when the Generals took a four point lead after a service ace, getting ahead 9-5. But R-MC fought back with five straight points to take the one-point lead at 10-9. W&L retook the advantage and R-MC earned ties at 16-16 and 17-17 before taking the one-point lead itself. The set would become tied yet again at 23-23, but the Generals tallied two straight points to close out the win.
- R-MC hit its first stride of the second set after W&L claimed a two-point advantage. R-MC rallied off 11 points while only allowing W&L to score four, giving itself the 17-13 lead. The four-point lead would quickly disappear though as the Generals came all the way back with almost the exact same sequence for their side and earned set point at 24-22. The Yellow Jackets responded with a kill from senior Alexia Wolfe (Midlothian, Va. / James River) and another by senior Miranda Hall (Mechanicsville, Va. / Hanover) to tie the match at 24-24. Both teams earned their 25th point back-to-back, but it was the Yellow Jackets that tallied kills from Wolfe and fellow senior Angela Tender (Manassas, Va. / Stone Bridge) to win by two 27-25.
- R-MC used the momentum early in the third set. After going down 0-1, R-MC rallied off six straight points before W&L could score again. That advantage served the Yellow Jackets well as it remained intact through the entire set. R-MC never let the Generals get closer than two and the Yellow Jackets earned the 25-20 set win.
- With the match on the line, the fourth set played tighter than any other throughout the night. R-MC launched into a solid rally after the set knotted up at 11-11. From there, the Yellow Jackets got on a 7-1 run to take a sizable advantage. The Generals came as close as three before R-MC fired off another four straight points that got the Yellow Jackets within two points of the match victory. W&L had one last chance with five straight points, bringing the set back within two; but R-MC finished the set out, ending it by taking advantage of a W&L error and with a kill by sophomore Sydney Koch (Raleigh, N.C. / Sanderson) to win 25-21.
Inside The Numbers
- Wolfe finished with 10 kills, a team high. She was followed Hall and Koch with nine kills each.
- Tender led the team with 24 assists. Sophomore Macguire Gubba (Grove City, Pa. / Grove City Area School District) collected 15 assists as well.
- Freshman Grace Parker (Andover, N.J. / Pope John XXIII) led the team with three service aces, while sophomore Madison Warlick (Charlottesville, Va. / Albemarle) had two. Four other players contributed at least one ace.
- R-MC was dominant at the net defensively all night. R-MC collected 12 total blocks. The Yellow Jackets were led by senior Kai Cunningham (Virginia Beach, Va. / Kempsville), who had six blocks. Wolfe added five and Koch and Parker each had four.
- Senior Bailey Jones (Suffolk, Va. / Norfolk Collegiate) had a terrific all-around night, making seven kills and two blocks.
- Defensively, Warlick led R-MC with 21 digs. Parker and junior Mackenzie Loewe (Leonardtown, Md. / St. Mary's Ryken) were critical on the reception as well, grabbing 11 and 10 digs respectively.
R-MC will return to the court immediately. The Yellow Jackets will travel to Hollins tomorrow for a 7:00 PM conference tilt.