ASHLAND, Va. – Randolph-Macon senior Bailey Jones (Suffolk, Va. / Norfolk Collegiate) and sophomore Sydney Koch (Raleigh, N.C. / Sanderson) each attacked at a .600 rate or better Tuesday night as Women's Volleyball swept Eastern Mennonite on its home floor.
Score: Randolph-Macon 3, Eastern Mennonite 0 (25-20, 25-8, 25-12)
Venue/Location: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: Randolph-Macon (8-3, 2-0 ODAC), Eastern Mennonite (8-5, 1-2 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Early on, neither team could edge ahead. Eastern Mennonite got the first lead of more than one when the Royals earned a service ace to make it 5-3. But R-MC earned three straight points to take a lead and forged ahead, grabbing an 11-8 advantage. The Royals tried to claw back in, but never got closer than two as the Yellow Jackets earned the set victory 25-20.
- The second set belonged to the Yellow Jackets from the outset. After EMU gained the first point, the Yellow Jackets went on a run of 12 points, taking the sizable advantage. EMU could never regain the lost ground as R-MC won the set 25-8, including an 6-0 run to finish it out.
- The third set saw a trio of early ties, but R-MC quickly got ahead with a 11-2 run that put the Yellow Jackets up 15-8. After giving up two points, R-MC closed the set on a 9-3 run to win 25-12.
Inside The Numbers
- Koch led the team with 12.5 points and hit .600 on 15 attacks, gaining ten kills. Senior Miranda Hall (Mechanicsville, Va. / Hanover) earned 8.5 points and six kills.
- Jones led the team in hitting percentage, knocking down two-thirds of her attempts, gaining seven kills. She also added a block. Senior Alexia Wolfe (Midlothian, Va. / James River) earned seven kills as well and freshman Grace Parker (Andover, N.J. / Pope John XXIII) tallied eight kills.
- Senior Angela Tender (Manassas, Va. / Stone Bridge) and sophomore Macguire Gubba (Grove City, Pa. / Grove City Area School District) each tallied two service aces while Hall added one. Tender was also the team's assist leader, making 21 of them on the night. Gubba had the second-most on record tonight with 15.
- Sophomore Madison Warlick (Charlottesville, Va. / Albemarle) earned nine digs, a team high. Parker and Hall were close behind with eight and seven digs respectively.
- Koch made four blocks at the net, including one solo block. Hall and fellow senior Kai Cunningham (Virginia Beach, Va. / Kempsville) each recorded three blocks while Wolfe threw in two.
- Randolph-Macon hit .269 or better in each of the three sets, including .321 in the first set. The team hit .290 for the match.
Randolph-Macon will host the R-MC Quad Match on Saturday. The Yellow Jackets will face Guilford at 11:00 AM, followed by Emory & Henry at 1:00 PM, both in Crenshaw Gym. Virginia Wesleyan will serve as the anchor for Alumni Gym and will face the opposite schedule of R-MC.