ASHLAND, Va. – Randolph-Macon women's volleyball fought through a close first set and a 35 minute fire alarm delay to come out on top against the Marlins of Virginia Wesleyan Wednesday night.
Score: Randolph-Macon 3, Virginia Wesleyan 1
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: Randolph-Macon (9-6, 5-1 ODAC), Virginia Wesleyan (9-6, 4-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- After a small early lead by Virginia Wesleyan, R-MC hit five of seven to go up 6-3. The lead was comfortable for the Yellow Jackets for much of the first set until VWU hit four in a row to tie the set at 14-14. The Marlins and the Yellow Jackets traded the lead, ties and close calls until R-MC closed the set out with a kill from junior Miranda Hall (Mechanicsville, Va./Hanover) and a service ace from freshman Sydney Koch (Raleigh, N.C./Sanderson) to get the win by two 26-24.
- In the second set, a 6-6 tie gave way to R-MC adding points and hitting a 4-0 run. With R-MC up 18-12, the Yellow Jackets gave up their last point of the set to VWU as R-MC finished on a 7-0 run to win 25-13. Hall and senior Mariah Clark (Stuarts Draft/Riverheads) contributed four and two kills each in the final run to ensure R-MC got the victory in the set.
- With a lead of 2-1, R-MC then started on a 5-0 run to begin the third set. But a pair of fire alarms evacuated the gym and forced the teams to restart the match about 35 minutes after the alarms began. When the teams returned, R-MC pushed the lead to 14-6, but VWU fought back with a 6-1 run to get the score to favor R-MC by just three at 15-12. R-MC kept inching the score closer to a match win, but VWU kept closing in, with another solid run of 6-2. VWU eventually tied the set at 22 and R-MC tied the set at 23, but VWU closed out the frame with a pair of points to win 25-23.
- R-MC began the fourth with another solid start, this time sans delay. The Yellow Jackets got eight of the first nine points to give themselves a nice cushion. The cushion helped keep R-MC ahead for the set as the Yellow Jackets closed with a 10-5 run to win 25-12.
Inside The Numbers
- Hall led all scorers with 20 kills on the night.
- Clark made just a single error and racked up 13 kills, hitting .375 on the evening.
- R-MC hit .239 in the first set, .342 in the second and .560 in the fourth set. The Yellow Jackets made just a lone error in the final frame and finished the match hitting .269.
- Senior Emily Fitzwater (Bealeton, Va./Liberty) helped push the hitting average up, hitting .385 on 13 attacks, making six kills and just a lone error. Junior Bailey Jones (Suffolk, Va./Norfolk Collegiate) also hit a high percentage in the match, going .455 on 11 attacks and making six kills.
- Junior Angela Tender (Manassas, Va./Stone Bridge) made a career-high 33 assists. Freshman Macguire Gubba (Grove City, Pa/Grove City Area) added 16 and sophomore Emma Young (Highland Park, Ill./Highland Park) made eight on the match. Tender also led the team with a pair of service aces.
- Freshman Madison Warlick (Charlottesville, Va./Albemarle) paced the victors with 24 digs. Junior Alexia Wolfe (Midlothian, Va./James River) made 17 digs as well while sophomore Mackenzie Loewe (Leondardtown, Md./St. Mary's Ryken) added 12 digs.
- Clark led the Yellow Jackets with three blocks while Fitzwater and Koch each added two. Wolfe was credited with one on the night.
Randolph-Macon will face Shenandoah tomorrow night in Winchester at 7:00 PM.