LYNCHBURG, Va. – Randolph-Macon Women's Tennis fell to Lynchburg Tuesday afternoon in Old Dominion Athletic Conference play on the Hornets' home turf.
Score: Lynchburg 6, Randolph-Macon 3
Location/Venue: Lynchburg, Va./Lynchburg Tennis Courts
Records: Lynchburg (14-2, 9-1 ODAC), Randolph-Macon (12-2, 9-2 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The hard-fought match saw two singles matches need tiebreaking sets. But Lynchburg got an early lead in doubles.
- At No. 1 Doubles, senior Stephanie Yeager (Fairfax, Va. / Robinson Secondary) and junior Morgan Fuqua (Richmond, VA / Mills Godwin) fell 8-4 to Caroline Guill and Christina Harris. Junior Courtney Jenkins (Yorktown, Va. / York) and sophomore Isabel Wadsworth (Lake Wales, Fla. / Lake Wales) also fell in No. 3 Doubles.
- Juniors Kristin Dantzler (Williamsburg, Va. / York) and Landon Aud (Fishersville, Va. / Wilson Memorial) helped cut into Lynchburg's lead with an 8-2 win at No. 2 Doubles, defeating Lilli Altenburg and Sarah Wyly.
- Lynchburg also got wins at No. 1 Singles and No. 3 Singles early as Harris defeated Fuqua and Alissa Anderson won against Yeager.
- Dantzler recorded a sweep at No. 2 Singles as she won 6-0, 6-0 against Wyly.
- But Lynchburg tallied another two wins, ensuring them the match victory Ellen Druebbisch won at No. 6 Singles against Jenkins and Guill defeated Wadsworth. The latter battle at No. 5 Singles needed a tiebreaker to decide the second set and then a tiebreaking third set after Wadsworth won the first set but fell in the later two. Guill won 5-7, 7-6 (1), 1-0 (5).
- Aud finished R-MC's lineup with a win against Emily Hoang after needing a full tiebreaking third set. Aud won 6-4, 4-6, 6-4.
Randolph-Macon returns to the court on Friday against Shenandoah. The match will begin at 4:00 PM and will be preceded by Senior Day festivities, which are scheduled at the Banks Tennis Center in Ashland.