ASHLAND, Va. – Randolph-Macon Women's Tennis got a strong victory against Roanoke Saturday afternoon in critical Old Dominion Athletic Conference match.
Score: Randolph-Macon 7, Roanoke 2
Location/Venue: Salem, Va./Hawthorne Tennis Courts
Records: Randolph-Macon (5-0, 2-0 ODAC), Roanoke (6-3, 4-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon swept the doubles action, helping position it well for singles later in the afternoon.
- In No. 1 Doubles, senior Stephanie Yeager (Fairfax, Va. / Robinson Secondary) and junior Morgan Fuqua (Richmond, VA / Mills Godwin) got an 8-4 victory over Madeline Herring and Jessica Kennedy.
- Junior Kristin Dantzler (Williamsburg, Va. / York) and Landon Aud (Fishersville, Va. / Wilson Memorial) scored an 8-6 win in No. 2 Doubles against Janny Alvarado and Carolyn Kitsock.
- In No. 3 Doubles, junior Courtney Jenkins (Yorktown, Va. / York) and sophomore Isabel Wadsworth (Lake Wales, Fla. / Lake Wales) took their match against Kelly MacCluen and Arabella Goralski 8-2.
- Looking for just two singles wins, R-MC found four as Dantzler, Yeager, Aud and Wadsworth each won their singles competition.
- At No. 2 Singles, Dantzler defeated Kitsock, but needed three sets to do so. She won 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 as the pair played out a full third set.
- Yeager made quick work of Herring at No. 3 Singles, winning 6-2, 6-2.
- The Maroons also forced third set in No. 4 Singles, with Aud playing a third set with Alvarado, though the pairing just played to a tiebreak. After dropping the first set 4-6, Aud won the second set 7-6 and the tiebreak 1-0 (10-8).
- Wadsworth defeated MacCluen 7-5, 6-2 at No. 5 Singles.
- In No. 1 Singles, Kennedy won a hard fought match against Fuqua, as both sets required extra games, with Kennedy winning 7-6, 7-6.
- Roanoke's No. 6 Singles competitor Goralski bested Jenkins 6-2, 6-4.
Randolph-Macon will face Virginia Wesleyan at 4:00 PM on Wednesday in Virginia Beach.