ASHLAND, Va. – Sophomore forward Bonita Soliday (Gettysburg, Va./Gettysburg) made her first goal of the season count, nailing a shot in overtime to give the 14th-ranked and top-seeded Randolph-Macon women's soccer team a 1-0 victory over fourth-seeded Bridgewater Saturday afternoon in the semifinals of the 2019 ODAC Tournament.
Score: Randolph-Macon 1, Bridgewater 0 OT
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: Randolph-Macon 20-0-0, Bridgewater 12-6-2
How it Happened:
- The Yellow Jackets had three early corner kicks, but no success. Sophomore forward Nicole Czyzewski (Midlothian, Va./Midlothian) had a shot on goal in the ninth minute that was saved. The Eagles had their initial shot on goal in the 13th minute that was saved by senior Christina Newman (Virginia Beach, Va./Kempsville). Senior Gabby Nelson (Clover, Va./Halifax County) fired a shot in the 16th minute that hit off the crossbar. The Yellow Jackets had an 11-7 advantage in shots in the first half, including a 5-4 edge in shots on goal. Newman had four saves.
- Nelson broke through the defense and fired a shot that was saved hesd-high by the BC keeper in the 74th minute. The contest would remain scoreless after 90 minutes. R-MC would have three shots on goal in the second, compared to none for the Eagles.
- Early in the first overtime period, sophomore midfielder Maddie Bauman (Smithfield, Va./Smithfield) fed Soliday, who found the back of the net in the 92nd minute.
By The Numbers:
- R-MC held a 20-9 advantage in shots, including 9-4 in shots on goal. Nelson, Czyzewski and sophomore forward Tyria Smalls (Fredericksburg, Va./Massaponax) all had four shots for the Yellow Jackets. Czyzewski had three shots on goal.
- Senior Christina Newman (Virginia Beach, Va./Kempsville) and sophomore Edye Carr (Clinton, N.C./Clinton) combined on the 13th shutout of the season for R-MC.
- The Yellow Jackets had a 5-1 edge in corner kicks, including 4-1 in the first half.
For The Record:
- R-MC added to its program record for most wins to start a season at 20. The Yellow Jackets also extended its program mark for most consecutive wins in a single season.
- Top-seeded Randolph-Macon will meet the winner of the second semifinal match between No. 2 Washington and Lee and No. 3 Virginia Wesleyan in the ODAC Championship Game on Sunday, Nov. 10 at 2 p.m. on the R-MC Soccer Field.