ASHLAND, Va. – Senior forward Gabby Nelson (Clover, Va./Halifax County) scored three goals in the first half to raise her season total to 25 as the 15th-ranked Randolph-Macon women's soccer team completed its regular season with a perfect 18-0 record with a 3-0 ODAC victory at Ferrum on Saturday evening.
Score: Randolph-Macon 3, Ferrum 0
Location/Venue: Ferrum, Va./Penn-Roediger Field
Records: Randolph-Macon 18-0-0, 10-0-0 ODAC; Ferrum 9-7-2, 5-4-1 ODAC
How it Happened:
- The Yellow Jackets had five unsuccessful shots to start the match before Nelson netted her first goal in the 17th minute on an assist by sophomore Nicole Czyzewski (Midlothian, Va./Midlothian) to give R-MC a 1-0 advantage. Nelson would add a second goal in the 27th minute as the Yellow Jackets went up 2-0. A third goal came five minutes later as R-MC took a 3-0 advantage.
- R-MC kept the pressure on the second half, continuing to fire shots. The Yellow Jackets were unable to add to their halftime lead, taking home a 3-0 victory.
By The Numbers:
- R-MC had a 25-2 advantage on shots, including 19-1 for shots on goal. Nelson had eight shots, six of which were on goal. Junior midfielder Casey Kent (Fairfax, Va./Fairfax) added six shots and four were on goal.
- Nelson is third in the nation with 25 goals. She is second in the country with 56 points and with nine game-winning goals.
- Senior Christina Newman (Virginia Beach, Va./Kempsville) and sophomore Edye Carr (Clinton, N.C./Clinton) combined on the shutout, the 12th of the season for the Yellow Jackets.
For The Record:
- The Yellow Jackets clinched the ODAC regular season crown and will be the No. 1 seed in the upcoming ODAC Tournament.
- R-MC added to its program record for most wins to start a season at 18. The Yellow Jackets also set a program mark for most consecutive wins in a single season.
- R-MC remains at #5 in the second NCAA South Atlantic regional ranking: 1) TCNJ 13-1-1, 2) Christopher Newport 15-1-2, 3) Centre 18-0-0, 4) Emory 10-4-0, 5) Randolph-Macon 16-0-0, 6) Roanoke 12-4-1, 7) Montclair State 11-5-2, 8) Salisbury 13-2-2
- Top-seeded Randolph-Macon will host the winner of #8 Lynchburg and #9 Eastern Mennonite in the quarterfinals of the ODAC Tournament on Wednesday, Nov. 6. The Hornets and the Royals will meet on Monday, Nov. 4 to determine who advances to the quarterfinals. Tickets for the quarterfinal match are $10 for adults and $5 for youth ages 5-18. Kids under 5 and students of participating teams with valid ID will be admitted free.