LYNCHBURG, Va. –17th-ranked Randolph-Macon Women's Soccer earned a milestone victory while senior Gabby Nelson (Clover, Va. / Halifax County) earned a hat trick plus an extra goal as the Yellow Jackets soared to a win against Old Dominion Athletic Conference foe Randolph Wednesday night.
Score: Randolph-Macon 5, Randolph 2
Location/Venue: Lynchburg, Va./WildCat Stadium
Records: Randolph-Macon (13-0-0, 5-0-0 ODAC), Randolph (5-5-2, 1-3-0 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon began in unfamiliar territory quickly. Randolph's Sara Bane scored just 30 seconds into the contest, sending a shot into the lower left side of goal. It hit the net and the WildCats were ahead by one. It was the first time an opponent led the Yellow Jackets all season, an incredible mark through 70% of the season.
- Nelson didn't wait long to wipe that note off the board. Before the second minute was out, Nelson beat three defenders into the box to go one-on-one with the keeper. Nelson won the battle and earned her first goal to even the match at 1-1.
- R-MC took its first lead in the 14th minute. Nelson took it on the right side of goal. The senior passed back to junior Casey Kent (Fairfax, Va. / Fairfax) who nailed a shot to the upper right corner from just outside the box.
- Bane scored once more about two minutes later, drawing the match even at 2-2. The second Randolph goal marked the first time this season an opponent has gained more than a lone goal, an additional testament to Randolph-Macon's defensive prowess.
- Nelson would score twice more before the half was out though, securing the hat trick before the first horn. Her second goal came in the 30th minute as she sent a shot towards goal in traffic near the 6-yard box. It got past the converging Randolph goalie and slipped into the middle for the goal.
- The final goal of the half came as junior Erin Lee (Smithfield, Va. / Smithfield) handled the ball in front of the goal. The Randolph goalie approached to end the danger, but Lee sent it to an open Nelson, who sent it into the bottom left corner of goal.
- Nelson completed the haul with a goal in the 88th minute. Sophomore Tyria Smalls (Fredericksburg, Va. / Massaponax) sent a shot that was saved by Randolph's keeper. But it rebounded, allowing Nelson to send it back for the goal. That finalized the score at 5-2.
Inside The Numbers
- Randolph-Macon was in control for the duration of the match following Randolph's two goals. R-MC made 36 shots, including 24 on goal while limiting Randolph to just four shots, the two goals, a penalty try and a second half look.
- Kent led the Yellow Jackets with ten shots, including five on goal. Nelson had nine shots with seven on goal. Sophomore Bonita Soliday (Gettysburg, Pa. / Gettysburg) added six shots, all coming on goal.
- Senior Christina Newman (Virginia Beach, Va. / Kempsville) finished with the win and 45 minutes in goal. Sophomore Edye Carr (Clinton, N.C. / Clinton) played the second half and earned one save.
- Nelson was tied for fifth in the country coming into the contest, gaining five game-winning goals. She now has a sixth after R-MC's third goal in the 30th minute.
- R-MC is one of just three schools to be undefeated. The Yellow Jackets join Centre and Pitt-Greensburg with clean slates.
- R-MC is ranked 17th in the latest D3soccer.com National Top 25 poll.
- The 2019 Yellow Jackets have now matched their 1995 counterparts for record number of wins to start the season. In 1995, the Yellow Jackets went 13-0-0 to begin the year before tying Mary Washington in its 14th contest.
The Yellow Jackets face Emory & Henry on Saturday afternoon at 4:00 PM. The Yellow Jackets will celebrate AYSL Dragons Day as part of the weekend contest.