SALEM, Va – The Randolph-Macon Women's soccer team recorded a big ODAC victory today with a 1-0 win over the Roanoke Maroons. Junior midfielder Casey Kent (Fairfax, Va. / Fairfax) recorded the only goal of the match when she converted a spot kick in the 55th minute of the match. Senior forward Gabby Nelson (Clover, Va. / Halifax County) was also a major contributor on the day while the entirety of the R-MC midfield and backline put in impressive shifts. This win moved the Jackets to 12-0 on the season and they also maintained their undefeated conference record at 4-0.
Score: Randolph-Macon 1, Roanoke 0
Location/Venue: Salem, Va. / Kerr Stadium
Records: Randolph-Macon 12-0, 4-0 / Roanoke 9-3-1, 3-1-1
How It Happened:
- The Yellow Jackets started the match on the front foot, with Gabby Nelson driving the attack as the Jackets looked to attack down the flanks. Nelson was a central part of the Jackets attack early on in the match when she struck the woodwork in the 13th minute.
- Senior keeper Christina Newman (Virginia Beach, Va. / Kempsville) made her first two saves of the match before Casey Kent forced the Roanoke keeper into her first save of the match.
- R-MC went into halftime level but had their share of the possession and the chances in the first half with Nelson and Kent creating most of the trouble for the Roanoke defense.
- After the restart, in the 55th minute the Yellow Jackets drew a foul in the box and Kent stepped up for the spot kick and converted it, coolly slotting it past the keeper to give R-MC the lead with what proved to be the winning goal.
- Randolph-Macon continued to dominate most of the second half, limiting the chances that Roanoke was able to create. The back line was consistent throughout the match and Newman saving all five of the shots on goal that she faced.
Inside the Numbers:
- Nelson and Kent led the way today with seven shots and four shots respectively and two shots on goal apiece. Sophomores Tyria Smalls (Fredericksburg, Va. / Massaponax) and Maddie Bauman (Smithfield, Va. / Smithfield) both also recorded a shot on goal.
- Christina Newman recorded three saves in the first half, and sophomore Edye Carr (Clinton, N.C./Clinton) notched a pair in the second half to keep the Maroons off the scoresheet.
- The Yellow Jackets recorded six shots on goal to the Maroons five.
The Yellow Jackets will travel to Randolph on Wednesday the 16th for a 7 PM kickoff before returning home on Saturday the 19th to face Emory and Henry for a 4 PM cont