BRIDGEWATER, Va. – Women's Soccer Senior Gabby Nelson (Clover, Va. / Halifax County) outran much of Bridgewater's defense and drew the Eagles' goalie out of position while simultaneously knocking the ball into the net with her opposite foot. The sequence, which came with about seven minutes to go in a defensive game to that point, pushed the Yellow Jackets to 9-0 this season.
Score: Randolph-Macon 1, Bridgewater 0
Location/Venue: Bridgewater, Va./BC Soccer Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (9-0, 1-0 ODAC), Bridgewater (3-4-2, 0-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The Yellow Jackets had a pair of chances early as juniors Casey Kent (Fairfax, Va. / Fairfax) and Meghan Skevington (Richmond, Va. / Deep Run) got shots towards goal, but were saved by BC's goalie.
- Skevington earned another chance at goal midway through the first half, but the Eagles were able to save it as well. R-MC would have two more shots on goal before the end of the frame, as well as a header chance from sophomore Tyria Smalls (Fredericksburg, Va. / Massaponax) that was saved with about ten minutes to go in the half.
- Bridgewater had a pair of chances just moments into the second half, but the R-MC defense blocked the first shot and sophomore goalie Edye Carr (Clinton, N.C. / Clinton) locked down the second chance.
- Junior McKenna Maier (Henrico, Va. / Deep Run) and Kent got two more quick back-to-back looks in the 52nd minute, but BC's Sydney Davis saved both.
- Late in the half, Nelson got an opportunity at goal that was saved. Right after the look at goal, Bridgewater had its own chance, but keeping with the mantra to that point, neither offense was able to net a goal.
- That changed in the 87th minute. Nelson picked up the ball on the left side of goal outside the box. She began her all-out sprint towards the goal, beating the Eagles' defense and crossing across the face of goal to the right. The move pulled the BC goalie out to protect. When that happened, Nelson struck the ball with her opposite foot while on the run, placing it in the bottom corner. The goal would be the only on the board as R-MC won 1-0.
Inside The Numbers
- R-MC outshot Bridgewater 19-15, including 8-5 in the first half.
- Senior Christina Newman (Virginia Beach, Va. / Kempsville) started the game in goal and earned three saves in her half of work. Carr finished with five saves.
- Nelson led the Yellow Jackets with eight shots and was followed by Kent, who recorded six shots. Both earned four shots on goal.
- The R-MC defense was anchored by senior Haley Silva (Henrico, Va. / Deep Run), sophomore Kylie Martino (Centreville, Va. / Centreville) and freshmen Gracie Tritt (Fredericksburg, Va. / Riverbend) and Olivia Adams (Mechanicsville, Va. / Hanover). The group allowed just one shot on goal in the final 15 minutes.
- The Yellow Jackets remain undefeated on the season. At 9-0, the team is in a position that R-MC Women's Soccer has not since 1995.
Randolph-Macon will face Guilford one week from today. The Yellow Jackets will square off with the Quakers on Saturday, October 5 at 3:00 PM.