ASHLAND, Va. – The Randolph-Macon women's soccer team was powered to a dominant win today by senior Gabby Nelson (Clover, Va. / Halifax) and junior Meghan Skevington (Richmond, Va. / Deep Run). Skevington led the way for the Yellow Jackets with her two goals and Nelson added a goal of her own as well as three assists in the game. This win continued their excellent run of form that has led to a 7-0 record to start the campaign, recording a season-high 30 shots in the game.
Score: Randolph-Macon 4, Methodist 1
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va. / R-MC Soccer Field
Records: Randolph-Macon 7-0, Methodist 3-3
How it Happened:
- The Yellow Jackets started the game on the front foot and kept their foot on the gas throughout most of the first half, with most of the half spent in the Methodist final third. Meghan Skevington grabbed the first goal for Randolph-Macon in the 17th minute after she turned in a deflected shot by Nelson.
- It wasn't until the second half that the Jackets would grab their second but shortly after the restart it was Skevington at the double with Nelson again providing the assist.
- Continuing to force the issue, it was a quickfire double for Randolph-Macon as Nelson got on the scoresheet just minutes after assisting Skevington's second. This continued Nelson's rich vein of form this season after her hat-trick in the Jackets last match.
- Not satisfied, just three minutes sophomore Maddie Bauman (Smithfield, Va. / Smithfield) would grab the Jackets fourth and final goal of the game with a fine long-range effort the crept past the keeper into the bottom corner.
Inside the Numbers:
- The Yellow Jackets dominance was reflected in the stats, recording 30 shots with eight coming on target. They also won 10 corners over the course of the game.
- Nelson continued her streak of recording at least a goal or an assist in every game of the season so far, with her goal today bringing her to nine total goals for the season making her the Yellow Jackets leading scorer.
- Skevington led the way with six shots, with three coming on goal while junior midfielder Casey Kent (Fairfax, Va. / Fairfax) recorded five shots.
- Sophomore keeper Edye Carr (Clinton, N.C. / Clinton) finished out the game for the Jackets and recorded one save.
- The Yellow Jackets will face Marymount in a home match on Sunday September, 22 on Family Weekend in a 1:00 PM kickoff.