GREENSBORO, N.C. – Freshman Bonita Soliday (Gettysburg, Pa./Gettysburg) tallied the game's lone goal in the first half, and the Yellow Jacket defense recorded its 12th shutout of the season, as the Randolph-Macon women's soccer team posted a 1-0 victory at Guilford on Saturday evening to earn a share of the ODAC regular-season title.
Score: Randolph-Macon 1, Guilford 0
Location/Venue: Greensboro, N.C./Armfield Athletic Center
Records: R-MC 11-1-2, 7-1-2 ODAC; GC 6-10, 4-6 ODAC
How It Happened
- The Yellow Jackets had the first nine shots of the match, but could not find the back of the net. On their 14th shot of the game, Soliday put a rebounded shot into the net in the 35th minute as R-MC took a 1-0 advantage. It was the fifth goal of the season for Soliday. Junior Abbie Winkelmann (Gettysburg, Pa./Gettysburg Area) assisted on the goal.
- R-MC held a 17-3 advantage on shots in the first half, including 7-2 for shots on goal.
- The Yellow Jackets had six corners in the first half, none for the Quakers.
- R-MC took the first eight shots of the second half, but was not able to add to its lead. GC had a corner in the 85th minute and a shot on goal that was saved by freshman Edye Carr (Clinton, N.C./Clinton) as the Yellow Jackets held on for a 1-0 win.
- Carr finished with four saves, two in each half.
- The R-MC defense, led by senior Mary Virginia Kelley (Midlothian, Va./James River), junior Haley Silva (Henrico, Va./Deep Run), junior Madi Powell (Wake Forest, N.C./Cosby), freshman Kylie Martino (Centreville, Va./Centreville) and freshman Jules Heuchan (Tallahassee, Fla./Maclay School), registered their 12th shutout of the season. The Yellow Jackets have allowed just two goals on the season.
Inside the Numbers
- R-MC held a 29-5 advantage on shots, including 15-4 for shots on goal. Sophomore Casey Kent (Fairfax, Va./Fairfax) led the Yellow Jackets with six shots, of which four were on goal. Junior Gabby Nelson (Clover, Va./Hailfax County) took five shots, including two on goal.
- The last time R-MC won the regular-season crown either outright or shared was 1996, when the Yellow Jackets went 8-0 in ODAC play.
- The Yellow Jackets tied Bridgewater and Lynchburg for the top spot in the ODAC standings with records of 7-1-2 for 23 points. The Eagles went 1-0-1 against the other two to take the top seed in the ODAC Tournament. The Yellow Jackets went 1-1 vs. the pair to become the second seed. The Hornets went 0-1-1 and would be the No. 3 seed.
- R-MC will host an ODAC quarterfinal match for the first time since 1999.
- #2 Randolph-Macon will host #7 Shenandoah on Wednesday, Oct. 31 in an ODAC Tournament quarterfinal match. Game time will be announced by Monday, Oct. 29.
First Round on Monday, 10/29
#9 Randolph at #8 Ferrum
Quarterfinals on Wednesday, 10/31
Winner of 1st Round at #1 Bridgewater
#5 Roanoke at #4 Virginia Wesleyan
#7 Shenandoah at #2 Randolph-Macon
#6 Washington and Lee at #3 Lynchburg
Semifinals and Championship on Saturday-Sunday, 11/3-4
- to be played at highest seed remaining following quarterfinals