EMORY, Va. - The Randolph-Macon women's soccer team posted its ninth shutout of the season in recording a 6-0 ODAC victory at Emory & Henry on Saturday.
Score: Randolph-Macon 6, Emory & Henry 0
Location/Venue: Emory, Va./Fred Selfe Stadium
Records: R-MC 9-0-1, 5-0-1 ODAC; E&H 1-12-1, 1-5-0 ODAC
How It Happened
- The R-MC defense, led by senior Lexi Mallory (Charlottesville, Va./Miller School), senior Mary Virginia Kelley (Midlothian, Va./James River), freshman Jules Heuchan (Tallahassee, Fla./Maclay School) and freshman Kylie Martino (Centreville, Va./Centreville), held the Wasps to just two shots in the match, both in the second half.
- After the Yellow Jackets dominated play early, junior Gabby Nelson (Clover, Va./Halifax County) scored on a turnaround at the top of the box in the 22nd minute to give R-MC a 1-0 lead.
- In the 26th minute, sophomore Taylor Drucker (Glen Allen, Va./Deep Run) finished on the left side on a cross from freshman Nicole Czyzewski (Midlothian, Va./Midlothian) to extend the margin to 2-0.
- R-MC added a pair of goals late in the first period. junior Haley Silva (Henrico, Va./Deep Run) scored off a cross from sophomore Sophia Basso (Ashland, Va./Patrick Henry) with 3:28 left in the first half to make it 3-0. Basso added a goal 25 seconds later on a pass from Czyzewski, making it 4-0 at intermission.
- Senior Maddie Burns (Glen Allen, Va./Deep Run) added a goal on a header off a corner kick from Drucker in the 56th minute to push the lead to 5-0. An own goal in the 63rd minute made it a 6-0 match.
Inside The Numbers
- R-MC registered 47 shots, including 23 shots on goal. Nelson had nine shots, Czyzewski added eight shots and Kent contributed seven shots for the Yellow Jackets.
- R-MC had 12 corner kicks, including eight in the first half. E&H had one first-half corner.
Randolph-Macon will host Virginia Wesleyan on Wednesday, Oct. 17 at 4 p.m. The ODAC match is scheduled to be played on the R-MC Soccer Field.