ASHLAND, Va. - The Randolph-Macon women's soccer team tallied four first-half goals, and the Yellow Jacket defense registered its eighth shutout of the season, in a 4-0 victory over Shenandoah Wednesday afternoon at the R-MC Soccer Field.
Score: Randolph-Macon 4, Shenandoah 0
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./R-MC Soccer Field
Records: R-MC 8-0-1, 4-0-1 ODAC; SU 6-6-0, 2-2-0 ODAC
How It Happened
- On R-MC's third shot of the game, junior Gabby Nelson (Clover, Va./Halifax County) netted her fourth goal of the season less than three minutes into the match to give the Yellow Jackets a 1-0 advantage.
- Six minutes later, sophomore Meghan Skevington (Richmond, Va./Deep Run) turned her defender and beat the keeper for her third goal of the season to give R-MC a 2-0 advantage. Junior Abbie Winkelmann (Gettysburg, Pa./Gettysburg Area) was credited with the assist on Skevington's goal.
- In the 28th minute, freshman defender Kylie Martino (Centreville, Va./Centreville) gave fellow freshman Nicole Czyzewski (Midlothian, Va./Midlothian) a pass down the left side. Czyzewski got by her defender and scored her sixth goal of the fall as the Yellow Jackets led 3-0. It was the first career assist for Martino.
- In the 38th minute, freshman Bonita Soliday (Gettysburg, Pa./Gettysburg) blasted a shot through the keeper's hands for her fourth goal of the season as the advantage ballooned to 4-0. Freshman Erin Lee (Smithfield, Va./Smithfield) assisted on Soliday's score.
- R-MC had seven shots in the second half, but could not add to its goal total as the match finished 4-0.
By The Numbers
- Randolph-Macon is off to its best start since 1995, when the Yellow Jackets went undefeated into the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
- The R-MC defense, led by senior Lexi Mallory (Charlottesville, Va./Miller School), senior Mary Virginia Kelley (Midlothian, Va./James River), junior Haley Silva (Henrico, Va./Deep Run), freshman Jules Heuchan (Tallahassee, Fla./Maclay School) and Martino, recorded its fifth straight shutout and its eighth shutout of the season. R-MC has allowed one goal in nine matches.
- The Yellow Jackets held a 19-16 advantage in shots. Sophomore Casey Kent (Fairfax, Va./Fairfax) paced R-MC with four shots, including two on goal. Nelson and Cyzewski both had three shots, with two on goal.
- Freshman goalkeeper Edye Carr (Clinton, N.C./Clinton) recorded six saves, including four in the first half.
Randolph-Macon travels to Emory & Henry for an 11 a.m. ODAC match on Saturday, Oct. 13.