ASHLAND, Va. – Sophomore Casey Kent (Fairfax, Va. / Fairfax) scored a pair of goals, including a penalty kick and senior Lexi Mallory (Charlottesville, Va. / Miller School) assisted on a pair of goals as Randolph-Macon women's soccer secured a 4-0 victory over the University of Mary Washington in a game that kicked off two and a half hours earlier than scheduled to fit it in before Hurricane Florence flows into the area.
Score: Randolph-Macon 4, Mary Washington, 0
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./R-MC Soccer Field
Records: Randolph-Macon 3-0-0, Mary Washington 2-1-1
How It Happened
- Kent opened the scoring as she nailed a shot from nearly 40 yards out that crossed into the top half of the goal in the 23rd minute. It marked Kent's first goal of the season.
- About four minute later, senior Jenna Burns (Glen Allen, Va. / Deep Run) got a pass from Mallory, who had struck the ball from about 30 yards out. Burns headed it into goal behind the keeper, marking her first goal of the season.
- In the second half, junior Gabby Nelson (Clover, Va. / Halifax County) had a breakaway opportunity in the 48th minute, but got stopped up by the UMW goalie in the box, creating a penalty opportunity. Kent took the shot and converted it for her second goal of the season.
- In the 89th minute, Nelson got another breakaway chance after a pass from Mallory, which Nelson took ahead of the defense and slotted into the upper part of the net, where it bounced off the cross bar, off the ground and into the back of the net. It was Nelson's second goal of the season.
Inside The Numbers
- Early in the game, Mary Washington had a lot of scoring opportunities but did not convert any of them. From the 10-minute mark to the end of the first half, R-MC allowed just one shot to Mary Washington.
- R-MC's overall shots were 21 compared to nine for Mary Washington.
- Nelson took six shots, including four on goal. Ken had four shots, with three coming on goal.
- R-MC goalies made five saves, with junior Christina Newman (Virginia Beach, Va. / Kempsville) making two and getting the win while freshman Edye Carr (Bel Air, Md. / The John Carroll School) made three.
- R-MC's defense, anchored by Mallory, fellow senior Mary Virginia Kelley (Midlothian, Va. / James River) and freshmen Kylie Martino (Centreville, Va. / Centreville) and Jules Heuchan (Tallahassee, Fla. / Maclay School), allowed just five shots on goal all game.
- This marked the third shutout of 2018 – halfway to 2017's total of six.
Randolph-Macon has had to postpone its match at Roanoke on Saturday. The makeup date will be announced later. R-MC will play Wednesday, September 19 against Methodist at 5:00 PM in Ashland.