LEXINGTON, Va. - Junior goalkeeper Elicia Wells (Richmond, Va./Trinity) had 12 saves, including seven in the first half, and senior midfielder Hannah Jones (Chestertown, Md./Kent County) scored twice, as the Randolph-Macon women's lacrosse team fell 17-5 at second-ranked Washington and Lee on Wednesday afternoon in ODAC action.
Score: Washington and Lee 17, Randolph-Macon 5
Location/Venue: Lexington, Va./Watt Field
Records: R-MC 4-6, 2-1 ODAC; W&L 10-2, 4-0 ODAC
How It Happened
- Jones scored on a free position shot less than two minutes into the contest to give the Yellow Jackets an early 1-0 advantage. The Generals scored the next three goals before junior attack Mary Castle (Annapolis, Md./Annapolis) netted a free position goal as R-MC trailed 3-2 with 11:45 left in the first half. W&L tallied the next three scores before a goal by sophomore attack Bella Samper (Spring, Texas/Klein Oak) with 11 seconds remaining made it 6-3 at intermission.
- The Generals had the first five goals of the second half before a goal by Jones stopped the run midway through the second period. Three more W&L goals preceded a goal by senior attack Lexi Jones (Chestertown, Md./Kent County) with eight minutes remaining. Junior attack Julia Bain (Nokesville, Va./Patriot) provided the assist for the goal by Lexi Jones. The Generals had the final three goals of the game to make the final 17-5.
By The Numbers
- Hannah Jones led R-MC with two goals, five shots and four shots on goal. She also had one ground ball and one draw control.
- Freshman McKenzie Hynson (Pasadena, Md./Northeast) topped the Yellow Jackets with four draw controls. Sophomore midfielder Kaylyn Hewes (Linthicum, Md./North County) had three draw controls.
- Hewes, Hynson and sophomore defender Sarah DiFazio (Johns Creek, Ga./Pinecrest Academy) each had a pair of ground balls.
- Castle and senior defender Abby Roth (Bayville, N.J./Donovan Catholic) both caused a pair of turnovers.
- Randolph-Macon will travel to Meredith on Saturday, April 6 for a 1 p.m. contest.