ST. MARY'S CITY, Md. - Sophomore midfielder Kaylyn Hewes (Linthicum, Md./North County) tied for team honors with two goals and led with six draw controls as the Randolph-Macon women's lacrosse team fell 20-9 at St. Mary's (Md.) on Wednesday afternoon.
Score: St. Mary's (Md.) 20, Randolph-Macon 9
Location/Venue: St. Mary's City, Md./JLR Stadium
Records: R-MC 2-4, SMC 4-3
How It Happened
- The Seahawks scored three times in the first two minutes before the first goal by Hewes and a pair of scores by senior Rachel Jones (Chestertown, Md./Kent County) evened the game at 3-3 six minutes into the contest. After SMC broke the tie, junior attack Mary Castle (Annapolis, Md./Annapolis) scored on a free position shot to level the score at 4-4 with 20:30 left in the first half. The Seahawks would score four straight before senior Hannah Jones (Chestertown, Md./Kent County) netted a pair of goals to make it 8-6 with 7:15 remaining. SMC would tally the final three scores of the period, taking an 11-6 advantage at halftime.
- The Seahawks had the first three goals of the second half before freshman midfielder McKenzie Hynson (Pasadena, Md./Northeast) snapped the streak, making it 14-7 with 23:30 left in the second period. After an SMC goal, Hewes had her second score of the game to make it 15-8 with 19:45 remaining. The Seahawks had three straight goals before sophomore attack Erin Mattone (Little Silver, N.J./Red Bank Catholic) had the final goal for the Yellow Jackets.
By The Numbers
- Hewes, Rachel Jones and Hannah Jones all had two goals for R-MC.
- Hannah Jones and Rachel Jones both topped the team with five shots. Hannah Jones had four shots on goal.
- Rachel Jones had three caused turnovers, while Castle and Hynson both caused a pair of turnovers.
- Junior goalkeeper Elicia Wells (Richmond, Va./Trinity) had seven saves in 35 minutes of action, while freshman Caraline Cypher (Havre de Grace, Md./Havre de Grace) recorded six saves in 25 minutes for the Yellow Jackets.
- Randolph-Macon will open ODAC play at Guilford on Saturday, March 23 at 1 p.m.