ASHLAND, Va. – Randolph-Macon Women's Lacrosse went goal-for-goal with Stevenson University in the waning minutes, but it was not enough to overcome a small first-half lead as the Mustangs defeated R-MC 14-12 in Saturday afternoon action.
Scores: Stevenson 14, Randolph-Macon 12
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: Stevenson (1-2), Randolph-Macon (1-2)
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon struck first as senior Saunders Riley (Summerfield, N.C. / Northern Guilford) scored about four minutes into the contest. Stevenson answered about six minutes later, evening the score at 1-1.
- Freshman McKenzie Hynson (Pasadena, Md. / Northeast) tallied an unassisted run to goal to break the tie, giving R-MC a 2-1 advantage. Seconds later, senior Rachel Jones (Chestertown, Md. / Kent County) did the same thing, giving R-MC a 3-1 buffer.
- But the Mustangs continued to push. Stevenson scored two in a row, tying the contest before Jones got another goal, returning the lead to R-MC once more. Stevenson ended the half with three unanswered goals, taking a 6-4 lead into the break.
- Randolph-Macon used the break to make some adjustments and came out firing in the second half. Sophomore Kaylyn Hewes (Linthicum, Md. / North County) scored seconds after the second half draw, cutting the Stevenson advantage to just one. That was followed quickly as junior Julia Bain (Nokesville, Va. / Patriot) fired a pass to senior Hannah Jones (Chestertown, Md. / Kent County) in front of the cage, who tied the game at the 21:12 mark in the half.
- Stevenson added a goal, but the Bain-Hannah Jones connection remained strong as the two connected, this time with Bain getting the goal and Hannah Jones the assist, just seconds after the Stevenson goal. Bain's goal equalized the game at 7-7.
- Hynson found her second goal of the game, putting the Yellow Jackets back on top just 20 seconds after Bain's goal, giving R-MC the 8-7 lead.
- Stevenson tied the match to 8-8 on a free-position shot just 40 seconds after Hynson's goal.
- Riley added her second tally of the match around the 17:33 mark, pushing R-MC ahead yet again. But Stevenson came back with a pair of goals by Dana Stevens around two minutes apart.
- Senior Lexi Jones (Chestertown, Md. / Kent County) took a pass from sophomore Bella Samper (Spring, Texas / Klein Oak) into the cage at the 11:13 mark to tie the match at 10-10.
- Stevenson got a pair of goals in a row to go ahead by two. Sophomore Natalie Webster (Midlothian, Va. / Midlothian) answered SU's second goal almost immediately. Around 15 seconds after the Mustangs netted goal 12, Webster caged R-MC's 11th goal of the game and cut the Mustang lead to just one.
- After the Mustangs added one with 6:43 to go, Hannah Jones took a pass from Samper into the cage for R-MC, keeping the one-goal differential with 5:34 to go.
- Stevenson added a final goal at the 3:23 mark to settle the final score at 14-12.
Inside The Numbers
- Hannah Jones led the team with eight shots, six of them falling on goal. Riley added four shots, all four landing on goal.
- Freshman Lily Henderson (Manakin-Sabot, Va. / St. Catherine's) picked up a team-high three ground balls.
- Hynson controlled eight draws on the match with Hewes and Rachel Jones each adding four. R-MC controlled 19 total draws compared to Stevenson's nine.
- Hannah Jones led the team with two caused turnovers. Henderson, Hewes, and senior Olivia Mott (Dayton, Md. / River Hill) each added one caused turnover as well.
- Junior Elicia Wells (Richmond, Va. / Trinity) made 14 saves in goal.
Randolph-Macon will play a neutral site contest against Coast Guard on Saturday, March 9 at U.S. Lacrosse headquarters. The game will begin at 5:00 PM.