ASHLAND, Va. – Randolph-Macon senior Michal Ross (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen) scored 18 points, while also grabbing eight rebounds as Women's Basketball opened the season against William Peace Saturday night in the R-MC Tip-Off Classic presented by Riesbeck Contracting.
Score: Williams Peace 73, Randolph-Macon 63
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: William Peace (1-0), Randolph-Macon (0-1)
How It Happened
- William Peace put the pressure on early. The Pacers lead over the first few minutes, but R-MC quickly wiped it off the board as freshman Devan Conrad (Parkville, Md. / St. Paul's School for Girls) tied the game at 6-6 with a pair of free throws. R-MC earned a lead as the teams worked through the middle stages of the quarter as sophomore Cheridan Hatfield (Fishersville, Va. / Wilson Memorial) and senior Charlotte Woods (Richmond, Va. / Trinity) made buckets to push R-MC ahead by four. But William Peace stormed back with five straight buckets to get ahead by six, though by the end of the quarter, that had been cut back to four.
- The Pacers kept pushing the pace and shut out the Yellow Jackets over the first two-and-a-half minutes of the second quarter, getting ahead 25-14 at the 7:34 mark. William Peace never let the Yellow Jackets get close in the period and the Pacers took a 41-24 halftime lead into the locker room.
- Hatfield opened the third quarter with a three-pointer and the Yellow Jackets poured it on from there. Sophomore Aimee DeBell (Studley, Va. / Saint Gertrude) made a jumper, which was followed by freshman Haley Pasqualone (Purcellville, Va. / Loudoun Valley) and Conrad making jumpers of their own. The offensive spark began a 15-2 run for R-MC, which cut the Pacer lead to just four. A pair of threes helped William Peace keep the separation and the lead remained with the Pacers heading into the fourth period 55-47.
- After each team added to its score in the early stages of the fourth period, both teams were quiet for nearly four-and-a-half minutes of play. Ross broke the drought with a bucket at the 3:31 mark, but the Yellow Jackets were never able to get a scoring run together and the Pacers earned the win 73-63.
Inside The Numbers
- Ross led the Yellow Jackets with 18 points. DeBell added 13 while Conrad and Hatfield each had nine.
- DeBell and Hatfield each corralled nine rebounds. Hatfield had five offensive boards, as did Ross, who finished with eight rebounds. The trio were also key in the turnover category, with DeBell gaining five steals and Hatfield and Ross each capturing four.
- R-MC won the turnover battle, giving up 23 compared to Williams Peace's 28
- Woods led the team in blocks with three while Ross added one.
- Pasqualone dished out five assists in her collegiate career debut, while Conrad had five rebounds and two steals to go with her three field goals.
The R-MC Tip-Off Classic presented by Riesbeck Contracting will continue tomorrow in Crenshaw Gym. Eastern Mennonite will visit to face William Peace at 1:00 PM. At the conclusion of the tournament, an All-Tournament team will be announced.
The Yellow Jackets will be back in action on Friday at the Comfort Suites Classic in Emory, Va. R-MC will face Pfeiffer at 8:00 PM on Friday and #19 Oglethorpe on Saturday at 4:00 PM.