ASHLAND, Va. - Sophomore Becca Arrington (Amelia, Va./Amelia Academy) poured in 15 points, one away from her season high as the Randolph-Macon women's basketball team dropped a 57-41 ODAC decision to first-place Guilford on Saturday afternoon in Crenshaw Gym.
Score: Guilford 57, Randolph-Macon 41
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: R-MC 17-8, 12-6 ODAC; GC 20-5, 16-2 ODAC
How It Happened
- The Quakers scored the first four points of the game before freshman Aimee DeBell (Studley, Va./Saint Gertrude) made a layup to put the Yellow Jackets on the board. GC scored six straight points before a three-pointer at the buzzer by sophomore Elise Knobloch (Glenville, Pa./Delone Catholic) made it 12-5 after one period.
- GC pushed its lead to 14 before a bucket by DeBell made it 24-12 with 2:40 left in the second quarter. The Quakers would have the final two baskets of the period and take a 28-12 lead at intermission. DeBell had seven points and seven rebounds in the first half for the Yellow Jackets.
- DeBell and Knobloch each hit a pair of free throws early, and a layup by senior Kelsey Wisner (York, Pa./Central York) made it 33-18 with 6:20 left in the third quarter. The Quakers scored seven straight points to push their lead to 40-18. A pair of three-pointers by Arrington highlighted an 11-4 spurt as R-MC narrowed the gap to 44-29 after three periods.
- Senior Jayla Wade (Newport News, Va./Heritage) hit three free throws as the Yellow Jackets made it 49-33 with 7:25 left in the final quarter. Arrington had a pair of treys and a layup in a personal 8-0 run to make it 57-41 with one minute remaining, and that would be the final score.
By The Numbers
- Arrington had all 15 of her points in the second half. She hit 5 field goals and was 4 for 8 on three-pointers.
- DeBell just missed a double-double, as she had 9 points to go along with her 10 rebounds. Seven of those 10 caroms came on the offensive end.
- Arrington and Knobloch both had 7 rebounds for the Yellow Jackets.
- R-MC had 19 offensive rebounds and held a 14-8 advantage in second chance points.
- Wisner had three steals, while Wade and Knobloch each snagged two.
- Randolph-Macon will be the No. 4 seed in next week's ODAC Tournament. The Yellow Jackets will face fifth-seeded Virginia Wesleyan on Friday, Feb. 22 at 3 p.m. in the Salem Civic Center.
First Round | Tuesday, 2/19 at 7pmGame 1: #9 Bridgewater at #8 ShenandoahGame 2: #10 Eastern Mennonite at #7 RoanokeQuarterfinals | Friday, 2/22Game 3: Winner Game 1 vs. #1 Guilford | 1:00 p.m.Game 4: #5 Virginia Wesleyan vs. #4 Randolph-Macon | 3:00 p.m.Game 5: Winner Game 2 vs. #2 Emory & Henry | 6:00 p.m.Game 6: #6 Lynchburg vs. #3 Washington and Lee | 8:00 p.m.Semifinals | Saturday, 2/23Game 7: Winner Game 3 vs. Winner Game 4 | 6:00 p.m.
Game 8: Winner Game 5 vs. Winner Game 6 | 8:00 p.m.Championship | Sunday, 2/24Game 9: Winner Game 7 vs. Winner Game 8 | 3:30 p.m.