TYLER, Texas – The 18th-ranked Emory Eagles scored three runs in the bottom of the sixth inning which was enough to nip the Randolph-Macon Yellow Jackets in the first game of the Division III National Championship series Thursday evening.
Score: #18 Emory 7, Randolph-Macon 5
Location/Venue: Tyler, Texas/Suddenlink Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (30-16), Emory (37-12)
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon had all the offense early. Senior Kerstin Roth (Yorktown, Va. / Grafton) opened the game up with a single up the middle. She was followed by junior Maddie Stone (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen) hitting a bunt single. R-MC's first run came home as an Emory throwing error on a sacrifice bunt attempt sent Roth home. Wood stole second and Stone scored after sophomore Ali Celiberti (Powhatan, Va. / Powhatan) reached first on an Emory throwing error. Wood then cam home as senior Brittany LaPrade (Quinton, Va. / New Kent) singled to center field. One more run came across as junior Taylor Sanderford (Mechanicsville, Va. / Atlee) singled to third base, allowing senior Casey Abernethy (Prince George, Va. / Prince George) to score after she pinch ran for Celiberti.
- Emory brought in two runs in the bottom of the first inning
- R-MC scored again in the top of the third as Sanderford sent a single to center, scoring sophomore Kamryn Steinruck (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen). Steinruck pinch ran for LaPrade, who singled to lead off the inning.
- Emory got the run back in the bottom of the third inning, and added one in the fifth and three in the bottom of the sixth to win 7-5.
Inside The Numbers
- Roth, LaPrade and Sanderford each recorded two hits on the day while Stone, Wood, Celiberti, senior Candace Whittemore (Montpelier, Va. / Patrick Henry) and junior Sami Davidson (Stafford, Va. / Brooke Point) each tallied one.
- Whittemore recorded two strikeouts and just one walk in her work inside the circle.
- Not one Yellow Jacket was struck out in the game.
Randolph-Macon will Illinois Wesleyan in an elimination game tomorrow at 2:30 PM EST (1:30 PM CST).