NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – Sophomore Ali Celiberti (Powhatan, Va./Powhatan) homered in the second inning, helping softball cut into the #11 Christopher Newport lead, but CNU was able to add on in the later innings to win the first game of a three-game series in the NCAA Tournament Super Regionals.
Score: #11 Christopher Newport 8, Randolph-Macon 3
Location/Venue: Newport News, Va./Captains Park
Records: Christopher Newport (37-7), Randolph-Macon (28-15)
How It Happened
- Christopher Newport loaded the bases in the first inning. The runs all came home, along with the batter on a Captains two-RBI double that scored another two runs after an R-MC error.
- The Yellow Jackets got two runs back in the very next half-inning. Senior Candace Whittemore (Montpelier, Va./Patrick Henry) singled to short. Celiberti stepped in and sent a ball over the left-center fence for a two-RBI home run.
- Randolph-Macon tacked on one more in the third. Junior Maddie Stone (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) singled through the left side to open the frame. After an R-MC out, senior Brittany LaPrade (Quinton, Va./New Kent) sent Stone home with an RBI double to right center.
- CNU scored two in each the bottom of the third and second, getting ahead 8-3.
Inside The Numbers
- Junior Shelby Hill (Mechanicsville, Va. / St. Margaret's) led the Yellow Jackets, recording two hits on the day. R-MC finished with nine hits total.
- Seniors Kerstin Roth (Yorktown, Va. / Grafton) and Savannah Wood (Tappahannock, Va. / Essex) each recorded one hit, as did Whittemore and junior Taylor Sanderford (Mechanicsville, Va. / Atlee). Eight Yellow Jackets total recorded at least one base hit.
- Whittemore struck out four and didn't allow a single walk through her six innings of work. She allowed just two earned runs as well.
R-MC and CNU will meet against tomorrow at 1:00 PM at Captains Park. If the Yellow Jackets win, there will be a deciding game three at 3:30 or 35 minutes following the conclusion of game two.