EWING, N.J. – Randolph-Macon softball advanced to the NCAA Tournament Regional final game for the third year in a row as R-MC blanked Mount Aloysius for senior Candace Whittemore's (Montpelier, Va. / Patrick Henry) second complete game shutout of the tournament. She spun another gem, striking out 12 while allowing just one hit and one walk. Senior Kerstin Roth (Yorktown, Va. / Grafton) hit an RBI triple in the top of the fifth inning to jump start the R-MC offense.
Score: Randolph-Macon 4, Mount Aloysius 0
Location/Venue: Ewing, N.J./Dr. June Walker Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (28-14), Mount Aloysius (33-9)
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon had the baserunners early in the game, but couldn't get any home. Tallying 11 hits on the day, R-MC, the designated visitor, really hit its stride offensively in the top of the fifth inning. Junior Taylor Sanderford (Mechanicsville, Va. / Atlee) singled up the middle to lead off the inning. Sophomore Kaitlyn Deeter (Roanoke, Va. / Lord Botetourt) replaced her on the basepaths and she moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by junior Sami Davidson (Stafford, Va. / Brooke Point). After R-MC hit into another out, Roth hit a two-out triple to center field, bringing Deeter home. Junior Maddie Stone (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen) kept the inning alive with a single to third base, which brought Roth home.
- The two-out hitting continued for R-MC in the top of the sixth. Sophomore Ali Celiberti (Powhatan, Va. / Powhatan) doubled to center field and was pinch run for by junior Sam Scifres (Midlothian, Va. / Clover Hill). Sanderford hit an RBI single up the middle to bring Scifres home and Sanderford made it to second on the throw. That allowed her to score on the next play as Davidson single to center field, earning the RBI and ending up at third after a throwing error, but settling the score at 4-0.
Inside The Numbers
- Whittemore struck out 12 batters – one day after striking out a season-high tying 13 against Arcadia yesterday. She earned K's for all three outs in the second and third inning and two of three batters in the first and fifth.
- Stone finished the day 3-4 with an RBI.
- Sanderford was 2-2 with a run and an RBI.
- Davidson went 1-2 with an RBI on the day.
- No Yellow Jacket struck out at the plate today.
The Yellow Jackets will await the results of the consolation side of the bracket to find out who its opponent will be tomorrow. The game is slated to begin at 12:00 Noon, followed by a second game (if necessary) at 2:30 PM. The entire tournament can be followed HERE.
Highlights and Post-game reaction