SALEM, Va. – Fourth-seeded Randolph-Macon softball will play a final contest in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference Championship tomorrow after falling to top-seed and National No. 1 Virginia Wesleyan in Game 14 of the ODAC Tournament Sunday.
Score: #1 (No. 1) Virginia Wesleyan 4, #4 Randolph-Macon 0
Location/Venue: Salem, Va./Moyer Sports Complex
Records: Va. Wesleyan (39-4), Randolph-Macon (26-13)
How It Happened
- Virginia Wesleyan scored in the bottom of the first inning, plating two runs after a single, a sacrifice, a pair of walks and a two-RBI single.
- The Marlins added a run in the bottom of the second an R-MC error allowed a run to come across.
- Randolph-Macon had one of its best opportunities in the top of the fifth inning. Senior Candace Whittemore (Montpelier, Va. / Patrick Henry) led off with a single and was followed by a single from junior Taylor Sanderford (Mechanicsville, Va. / Atlee). But both were stranded as the inning ended with a pair of R-MC outs.
- R-MC left one on in the sixth and another two on in the second, while VWU scored once more in the bottom of the fifth inning.
Inside The Numbers
- Whittemore went 2-3 on the day, while Sanderford and junior Shelby Hill (Mechanicsville, Va. / St. Margaret's) each recorded one hit.
- Whittemore was also the pitcher of record in the contest, striking out one batter. Sophomore Ali Celiberti (Powhatan, Va. / Powhatan) pitched two innings without allowing a hit.
Randolph-Macon and Virginia Wesleyan will meet in a final contest to decide the ODAC Championship. The game will begin in Salem on the Moyer Complex's field one beginning at 10:00 AM tomorrow. R-MC is fighting for its second ODAC Championship and is appearing in the title game for the third time. The Yellow Jackets won their first title in 2015 and appeared in the title game in 2014.