EMORY, Va. – For the second day in a row, senior Brittany LaPrade (Quinton, Va. / New Kent) hit a home run while junior Shelby Hill (Mechanicsville, Va. / St. Margaret's) hit her first homer of the season as Randolph-Macon softball took on Emory & Henry in a doubleheader Sunday afternoon.
Score: Emory & Henry 12, Randolph-Macon 4 (5 Innings); Emory & Henry 14, Randolph-Macon 7
Location/Venue: Emory, Va./Wasps Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (14-9, 4-6 ODAC), Emory & Henry (15-10, 6-2 ODAC)
How It Happened – Game One
- Emory & Henry scored in the bottom of the first inning and added runs in the second and the third, taking the 6-0 lead.
- Junior Taylor Sanderford (Mechanicsville, Va. / Atlee) reached first on an error with one out in the top of the fourth inning. Sophomore Kamryn Steinruck (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen) pinch ran for her and was advanced to second as freshman Isabella Brooks (Fredericksburg, Va. / Massaponax) hit a two-out single. Both moved up a base on a passed ball and senior Casey Abernethy (Prince George, Va. / Prince George) filled the empty base soon after on a walk. With the bases loaded, senior Candace Whittemore (Montpelier, Va. / Patrick Henry) singled, sending Steinruck home.
- E&H added three in the bottom of the fourth inning, going ahead 9-1.
- Hill cut the E&H advantage with her three-run home run in the top of the fifth. The shot to center field also brought home LaPrade, who had singled to center as well as sophomore Megan Smith (Lexington, Va. / Rockbridge County), who had singled to right field in her at-bat.
- Emory & Henry ended the game in the bottom of the fifth after loading the bases with two outs. The Wasps hit a two-RBI single and ended it with an RBI single up the middle.
Inside The Numbers – Game One
- Hill was 2-3 with a run scored and three RBIs.
- Whittemore started in the circle and had four strikeouts. Sophomore Ali Celiberti (Powhatan, Va. / Powhatan) also recorded an out and freshman Kellie Ferguson (Capron, Va. / Southampton Academy) pitched an inning and a third and struck out one. Whittemore was charged with the loss.
How It Happened – Game Two
- In a game that saw 34 base hits between the two teams, Randolph-Macon grabbed the early edge. Senior Kerstin Roth (Yorktown, Va. / Grafton) reached safely on a dropped fly ball, getting to third base on the play. Whittemore hit her home with a single to right field.
- E&H tied the game with a home run in the bottom of the first.
- R-MC answered in the top of the second. Junior Sami Davidson (Stafford, Va. / Brooke Point) singled to lead the inning off and was advanced to second by Sanderford on a sacrifice bunt. Roth hit Davidson home with a single to right field.
- The Yellow Jackets added on in the third. LaPrade hit a one-out home run, her second in as many days. Following the homer, Hill and Davidson both singled. Sanderford hit Hill home with a two-out single up the middle. Davidson scored by stealing home during the next at-bat.
- The Wasps scored once in the bottom of the third, leaving R-MC with a 5-2 lead.
- The Yellow Jackets tacked on a run in the top of the fourth as Roth hit a leadout single, was moved over on a sacrifice by Whittemore and sent home on a double by senior Savannah Wood (Tappahannock, Va. / Essex).
- Emory & Henry had a big inning in the bottom of the fourth. The Wasps scored six runs, which gave them the 8-6 lead.
- R-MC scored one in the top of the fifth inning, to cut the lead to one as Davidson scored junior Sam Scifres (Midlothian, Va. / Clover Hill), who hit a double to get aboard.
- E&H kept the offense going in the bottom of the fifth inning, scoring five runs and going ahead 13-7. The Wasps would add one more in the bottom of the sixth to settle the final score at 14-7.
Inside The Numbers – Game Two
- Sanderford was 3-3 with an RBI, while Davidson was 3-4 with an RBI and two runs. Wood also had a positive game at the plate, going 2-3 with an RBI.
- Roth, Hill and LaPrade each went .500. Roth hit an RBI and scored two runs while LaPrade and Hill each scored a run.
- Sophomore Madie Rhoads (Portsmouth, Va. / Nansemond River) pitched 3.2 innings and struck out five, but was charged with the loss. Ferguson also appeared in the game, going 1.1 innings with no walks issued. Celiberti also pitched an inning and a third.
Randolph-Macon will face top-ranked Christopher Newport on Wednesday at 2:30 PM at the R-MC Softball Field.