NEWARK, N.J. – Randolph-Macon Men's Volleyball fell in three sets to Rutgers-Newark Friday evening in a Continental Volleyball Conference match in New Jersey.
Score: Rutgers-Newark 3, Randolph-Macon 0 (25-16, 25-23, 25-13)
Location/Venue: Newark, N.J./The Golden Dome
Records: Rutgers-Newark (8-3, 5-1 CVC), Randolph-Macon (7-7, 3-2 CVC)
How It Happened
- After playing to a 4-4 tie, Rutgers-Newark was able to take a 6-3 run out to a three point lead before firing off another 11-4 run to take a commanding 21-11 lead. R-MC mounted a 5-2 run, but the Scarlet Raiders finished off the set with a win, 25-16.
- Randolph-Macon played the second set closer. Early on, R-MC got a 4-3 lead before giving it up after a Scarlet Raider 5-3 run. The Yellow Jackets battled back to a 14-14 tie before Rutgers-Newark pushed forward for another lead at 18-15. R-MC ended the match scoring eight and forced a 22-22 tie, but Rutgers-Newark finished the set out with a 25-23 victory.
- With momentum on their side, the Scarlet Raiders jumped out to a 12-4 lead in the third set. R-MC was able to put together a 3-0 run late, but by then the Scarlet Raiders had too much of the advantage and were able to win 25-13.
Inside The Numbers
- Freshman Scotty Carter (Virginia Beach, Va. / Frank W. Cox) led the team with eight kills, followed closely by junior Lee Olenyik (Mechanicsville, Va. / Hanover) who scored seven kills.
- Junior Brian Stephen (Mechanicsville, Va. / Hanover) led the team with 17 assists
- Freshman Lenny Sampson, Jr. (Chesapeake, Va. / Indian River) led the team with four blocks. Carter also added two.
- Freshman Connor Logan (Montpelier, Va. / Patrick Henry) led the team defensively with ten digs.
- R-MC hit .134 on the match.
Randolph-Macon will face reigning CVC Champion Kean tomorrow at 12:00 Noon before having a non-conference match with Lehman at 2:00 PM. Both matches will take place at Harwood Arena in Union, N.J.