LYNCHBURG, Va. – Randolph-Macon Men's Soccer got a series of opportunities offensively throughout the late stages of the first half and early parts of the second half, but it was the Lynchburg Hornets who netted a pair of goals to advance in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference Tournament Sunday night.
Score: Lynchburg 2, Randolph-Macon 1
Location/Venue: Lynchburg, Va./Shellenberger Field
Records: Lynchburg (9-4-5), Randolph-Macon (9-8)
How It Happened
- Lynchburg earned a good offensive opportunity in the seventh minute, but freshman keeper Anthony Ivanov (North Brunswick, N.J. / Immaculata) was able to make the save.
- Moments later, Lynchburg was able to finish a loose ball in the box to open the scoring at 1-0.
- Randolph-Macon's first great opportunity came in the 27th minute. Sophomore Jake Miklovic (Alexandria, Va. / Bishop Ireton High School) slotted a shot that was saved by the Lynchburg keeper.
- R-MC got another series of shots in the 32nd minute, that all came in quick succession. Sophomore Judge Morgan (Okinawa, Japan / Kubasaki) took a shot that was blocked. The rebounded effort by senior Christian Torres (Stafford, Va. / C.D. Hylton) was saved, but led to an R-MC corner kick. Torres took another shot after the corner came in, but the Hornet defense made a block.
- The offensive onslaught continued for R-MC as Torres and Morgan made additional shots in the 34th minute that were saved.
- R-MC had the early advantage offensively in the second half as well. Torres led it off in the 49th minute with a shot that was blocked. Senior Josh Beeker (Bel Air, Md. / Bel Air) collected an opportunity that was blocked as well. Freshman Penny Senior (Kingston, Jamaica / Meadowbrook) also had a tremendous look at goal but the shot was saved.
- Lynchburg added a second goal late in the second half as the Hornets finished off a rebounded shot that was loose in the box as the shot banked around an R-MC defender.
- Ivanov made a pair of tremendous plays with under five minutes to play, ensuring one Lynchburg shot went out with an athletic dive and tapped a second one over the post.
Inside The Numbers
- Randolph-Macon' midfield group of junior AJ Casarez (Virginia Beach, Va. / Landstown) and sophomores Connor Lorenz (Bel Air, Md. / Bel Air) and sophomore Colton Howell (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen) worked to prevent many open opportunities to Lynchburg's offense.
- Ivanov finished with seven saves.
- Torres led the team with five shots, including two on goal.
- Miklovic and junior Ruben Niamien (Fredericksburg, Va. / Chancellor) helped spark Randolph-Macon off the bench throughout key moments of the first and second halves.
- Defensively, seniors Paul Duffy (Salem, Va. / Salem) and Manny Ament (Manassas, Va. / Hylton) sophomore Jason Nunez (Springfield, Va. / Bishop O'Connell) helped control the Lynchburg attack throughout the R-MC defensive third.
Randolph-Macon concludes the season at 9-8 and finished 5-3 in the conference during the regular season.