ASHLAND, Va. – Sophomore Judge Morgan (Okinawa, Japan/Kubasaki) netted a pair of goals and the Yellow Jacket defense registered its fourth shutout of the season as the Randolph-Macon men's soccer team posted a 3-0 ODAC victory over Shenandoah on Tuesday evening in the regular season finale to earn the No. 5 seed in the upcoming ODAC Tournament.
Score: Randolph-Macon 3, Shenandoah 0
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: Randolph-Macon 9-7, 5-3 ODAC; Shenandoah 6-12, 2-6 ODAC
How it Happened:
- The Yellow Jackets would strike early. In the 13th minute, sophomore Penny Senior (Kingston, Jamaica/Meadowbrook) sent a ball in from the left side. Morgan headed the ball inside the left post to give R-MC a 1-0 edge. In the 29th minute, senior Anthony Astruc (Glen Allen, Va./Benedictine) fired a shot from the right side that was saved. Senior Paul Duffy (Salem, Va,/Salem) was centered in front of the goal and put the rebound in the back of the net to give the Yellow Jackets a 2-0 lead. The Hornets had a breakaway in the 33th minute, but the shot went wide left. Senior looked to add a goal with three minutes left in the half, but a leaping one-handed save kept it 2-0 at intermission. The Yellow Jackets had a 10-1 advantage in shots. Senior, Morgan and Duffy all had two shots, with both shots by Duffy on goal.
- The Hornets had a second breakaway in the 63rd minute, but an athletic save by freshman goalkeeper Anthony Ivanov (North Brunswick, N.J./Immaculata) kept the visitors off the scoreboard. Senior Josh Beeker (Bel Air, Md./Bel Air) looked to add a goal in the 83rd minute, but a strong save by SU kept it 2-0. Morgan would record his sixth goal of the season with three seconds left to make the final 3-0. Sophomore Jason Nunez (Springfield, Va./Bishop O'Connell) anchored the R-MC defense, winning balls in the air and initiating counter attacks. Sophomore Connor Lorenz (Bel Air, Md./Bel Air) was effective in controlling play in the midfield.
By The Numbers:
- R-MC outshot SU 21-3. Morgan finished with seven shots, of which three were on goal.
- The Yellow Jackets had a 6-5 edge in corner kicks. R-MC had the lone corner in the first half, while each team have five in the second half.
For The Record:
- R-MC tied Guilford for fifth in the final ODAC standings at 5-3. The teams did not play each other, so the next tiebreaker was record against common opponents. The difference was the result against Bridgewater, as the Yellow Jackets beat the Eagles and the Quakers lost to them.
- The Yellow Jackets will travel to No. 4 Lynchburg on Sunday, Nov. 3 for an ODAC Tournament quarterfinal match. Game time should be announced on Wednesday.
- ODAC MEN'S SOCCER TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
First Round | Friday, November 1
Game 1: #9 Bridgewater at #8 Randolph | TBA
Quarterfinals | Sunday, November 3
Game 2: Winner Game 1 at #1 Hampden-Sydney | TBA
Game 3: #5 Randolph-Macon at #4 Lynchburg | TBA
Game 4: #6 Guilford at #3 Roanoke | TBA
Game 5: #7 Virginia Wesleyan at #2 Washington and Lee | TBA
Semifinals | Date TBD | at Highest Seed following Quarterfinals
Game 6: Winner Game 2 vs. Winner Game 3 | TBA | Get Tickets via Ticket Spicket
Game 7: Winner Game 4 vs. Winner Game 5 | TBA | Get Tickets via Ticket Spicket
Championship | Date TBD | at Semifinals Host
Game 8: Winner Game 6 vs. Winner Game 7 | TBA | Get Tickets via Ticket Spicket
- *Game times are subject to change
*Semifinal and Final games will be played the weekend of November 8-10; official dates to be determined