ST. DAVIDS, Pa. – Sophomore Jason Nunez (Springfield, Va./Bishop O'Connell) and his mates on defense led the Randolph-Macon men's soccer team to a 1-0 victory at No. 15 Eastern on Friday afternoon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 1, No. 15 Eastern 0
Location/Venue: St. Davids, Pa. / Olson Field
Records: Randolph-Macon 2-1, Eastern 2-1
How it Happened:
- The Yellow Jacket defense, with starters Nunez, senior Paul Duffy (Salem, Va./Salem) and freshman Max Radosavljevic (Mechanicsburg, Pa./Cumberland Valley), smothered the Eagle offense in the first half, allowing just a pair of shots and none on goal. Eastern had four corner kicks in the first period, but could not muster a shot on goal. R-MC had four shots in the first half, with one on goal.
- R-MC got on the board early in the second half, as senior Josh Beeker (Bel Air, Md./Bel Air) finished on a pass from senior forward Christian Torres (Stafford, Va./C.D. Hylton) in the 48th minute to give the visitors a 1-0 advantage. It was the first goal of the season for Beeker.
- The Yellow Jacket offense kept the pressure on throughout the second half with 10 shots, as R-MC had a 14-9 edge in shots in the match. Torres, junior Ruben Niamien (Fredericksburg, Va./Chancellor) and sophomore Penny Senior (Kingston, Jamaica/Meadowbrook) terrorized the Eastern backs, as Senior led the Yellow Jackets with five shots.
- The starting midfielders of senior Anthony Astruc (Glen Allen, Va./Benedictine) sophomore Jake Miklovic (Alexandria, Va./Bishop Ireton) and sophomore Connor Lorenz (Bel Air, Md./Bel Air), along with junior AJ Casarez (Virginia Beach, Va./Landstown) controlled play in the middle of the field.
- The Eagles had a pair of shots on goal in the second half, one in the 71st minute and one in the 89th minute. Junior goalkeeper Luke Messick (Hampton, Va./Kecoughtan) made saves on both attempts.
- R-MC recorded its first shutout of the season after registering five a season ago.
Randolph-Macon will play at Cabrini on Saturday, Sept. 7 at 4 p.m.