ASHLAND, Va – Sophomore midfielder Connor Lorenz (Bel Air, Md./Bel Air) had a goal in the first half and an assist in the second as the Randolph-Macon men's soccer team posted a 3-1 victory over Averett Sunday afternoon at the R-MC Soccer Field.
Score: Randolph-Macon 3, Averett 1
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va. / R-MC Soccer Field
Records: Randolph-Macon 1-1, Averett 0-2
How It Happened:
- R-MC junior goalkeeper Luke Messick (Hampton, Va./Kecoughtan) stopped a one-on-one shot in the 15th minute to keep the match scoreless. A free kick by the Cougars in the 23rd minute turned into an own goal as AU took a 1-0 advantage.
- The Yellow Jackets responded in the 30th minute off a corner kick. Sophomore midfielder Colton Howell (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) initiated the play and Lorenz finished to level the score at 1-1. It was his first goal of the season.
- The Cougars had a 7-5 advantage in shots in the first half, including 4-1 for shots on goal. Messick recorded a pair of first-half saves.
- The Yellow Jackets took the lead early in the second half. Senior defender Paul Duffy (Salem, Va./Salem) finished a corner kick from senior forward Christian Torres (Stafford, Va./C.D. Hylton) inside the right post as R-MC took a 2-1 advantage in the 47th minute.
- Four minutes later, junior forward Ruben Niamien (Fredericksburg, Va./Chancellor) beat the keeper after a pass from Lorenz as the Yellow Jackets went up 3-1.
Inside the Numbers:
- R-MC had a 10-2 advantage in shots in the second half, giving the Yellow Jackets a 15-9 shot edge in the game. Torres paced the victors with three shots, while Sembera, junior midfielder AJ Casarez (Virginia Beach, Va./Landstown) and sophomore forward Penny Senior (Kingston, Jamaica/Chesterfield) each had a pair of shots.
- Both teams had one corner kick in the first half, but R-MC had five corners in the second half and AU had none.
- Messick finished with four saves.
- The R-MC defense, led by Duffy, sophomore Judge Morgan (Okinawa, Japan/Kubasaki), sophomore Jason Nunez (Springfield, Va./Bishop O'Connell) and freshman Max Radosavljevic (Mechanicsburg, Pa./Cumberland Valley) held the Cougars scoreless over the final 67 minutes of the match.
- Randolph-Macon will hit the road and play at Eastern on Friday, Sept. 6 at 4 p.m.