ASHLAND, Va. – Solid defense and strong midfield play was critical for both teams as Roanoke and Randolph-Macon fought to a 0-0 in conference play on Saturday afternoon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 0, Roanoke 0
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./R-MC Soccer Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (4-6-1, 1-4-1 ODAC), Roanoke (6-3-2, 2-1-2 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Neither team was able to get any offense going until the eight minute mark. That's when junior Christian Torres (Stafford, Va. / C.D. Hylton) had a header attempt at goal, but it was saved.
- R-MC had another try at goal as junior Anthony Astruc (Glen Allen, Va. / Benedictine) tried a shot in the 17th minute, which gained R-MC a corner kick chance. Astruc took the corner as sophomore Aaron Eiser (North Chesterfield, Va. / Monacan) tried to go for goal, but was blocked. R-MC got one more shot off in the mix of opportunities in their attacking third, but it was sent wide.
- Freshman Tyler Schardein (Glen Allen, Va. / Deep Run) provided energy off the bench as he go a pair of shots a few minutes apart around the 22nd minute. His two dangerous opportunities both required saves by Roanoke's keeper.
- After a pair of shots by each team around the 30 minute mark, the rest of the first half was quiet on the defensive front as the defensive units for each team kept their respective 18-yard boxes clean from attacks. The lone exception was a high try from sophomore Dylan Ogletree (La Plata, Md. / La Plata) in the 41st minute.
- In the second half, Schardein and fellow freshman Colton Howell (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen) each added more energy off the bench as they had early substitutions and collected a few offensive opportunities that Roanoke's defense was able to defend.
- Junior Isaac Myers (Littlestown, Pa. / Gettysburg Area) got a dangerous opportunity at goal at minute 75, but it was blocked by the Roanoke defense.
- R-MC got a close chance by Torres in the 78th minute as Torres tried a chance on goal but the shot was saved yet again.
- As the teams forced overtime, it was Schardein again who tried to draw the golden goal with a chance barely a minute into the period. Astruc got another close chance in the 93rd minute, that was saved only by last chance defender Federico Mor. Torres also had a shot on goal in the first overtime frame.
- Neither team was able to find a shot in the second overtime, settling the game on a 0-0 tie.
- Schardein remained an always-dangerous chance to score, creating havoc in the attacking third and taking advantage of every chance he could.
- Senior Peyton Chichester (Richmond, Va. / James River), junior Josh Beeker (Bel Air, Md. / Bel Air) and Eiser again proved to problems for Roanoke in their attacking chances. Chichester was able to win multiple first balls, getting R-MC chances the Yellow Jackets otherwise wouldn't have. Beeker and Eiser both were crucial in winning dozens of tackles, and Eiser worked along the touchline to try and ensure R-MC maintained as much possession as possible.
- Myers along with fellow defenders junior Paul Duffy (Salem, Va. / Salem) and freshman Ryan Staton (Mechanicsburg, Pa. / Cumberland Valley) were able to help senior keeper Brian Breslin (Fairfax, Va. / W.T. Woodson) record his third shutout of the year.
- Breslin made three saves, all three in the first half. Thanks to the work of the defensive backs, Breslin did not face a shot on goal for the remainder of the game.
Randolph-Macon will face Shenandoah in Winchester on Wednesday, October 10 at 7:00 PM.