LYNCHBURG, Va. - Freshman Judge Morgan (Okinawa, Japan/Kubasaki) tallied the equalizer in the 79th minutes, only to have the host net the game-winner with less than four minutes remaining as the Randolph-Macon men's soccer team dropped a 2-1 decision at Randolph Wednesday evening in the ODAC opener for each team.
Score: Randolph 2, Randolph-Macon 1
Location/Venue: Lynchburg, Va./Wildcat Stadium
Records: R-MC 3-3, 0-1 ODAC; RAN: 2-2-2, 1-0 ODAC
How It Happened
- The Yellow Jackets controlled play early, as junior Josh Beeker (Bel Air, Md./Bel Air), senior Andrew Gyimesi (Midlothian, Va./James River) and junior Anthony Astruc (Glen Allen, Va./Benedictine) had three of R-MC's four shots in the first 15 minutes of the match before the Wildcats recorded their first shot.
- The R-MC defense of junior Isaac Myers (Littlestown, Pa./Gettysburg Area), junior Paul Duffy (Salem, Va./Salem), sophomore Dylan Ogletree (La Plata, Md./La Plata), sophomore Aaron Eiser (North Chesterfield, Va./Monacan) and freshman Ryan Staton (Mechanicsburg, Pa./Cumberland Valley) withstood three corner kicks by Randolph midway through the first period. Senior Brian Breslin (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) had one save during the attack. Freshman Colton Howell (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) had R-MC's first shot on goal in the 35th minute. The match would be scoreless heading to intermission.
- In the second half, Breslin added saves in the 63rd and 64th minutes to keep the contest scoreless. Randolph would break through with a goal in the 68th minute following a corner kick to give the home team a 1-0 advantage.
- Following its own corner kick, R-MC was awarded a penalty kick in the 73rd minute. Astruc's shot was saved as the Wildcats maintained their 1-0 edge.
- The Yellow Jackets kept fighting and Morgan registered his second goal of the season in the 79th minute to level the match at 1-1.
- Randolph used a free kick to net the go-ahead goal in the 87th minute. R-MC could not muster a shot in the final 3:21 of the contest.
Inside The Numbers
- Randolph held a 12-9 advantage on shots, and a 5-2 edge on corner kicks.
- Astruc paced R-MC with two shots, including one on goal.
- Breslin finished with five saves, including four in the second half.
- R-MC will host Ferrum on Saturday, Sept. 22 at 3:30 p.m. on the R-MC Soccer Field.