ASHLAND, Va. – Two Randolph-Macon defenders scored and another added an assist as the defense came on strong in the offensive third as Randolph-Macon Men's Lacrosse defeated Bridgewater in a Saturday afternoon Old Dominion Athletic Conference matchup.
Score: Randolph-Macon 12, Bridgewater 5
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (8-2, 3-0 ODAC), Bridgewater (7-4, 0-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon shut out Bridgewater's offense in the first half.
- In the first quarter, freshman Brandon Smith (Richmond, VA / Douglas Freeman) scored the first goal with 13:14 remaining. Junior Brendan Markovic (Westminster, MD / Winters Mill) then scored about two minutes later as freshman Andrew Tiffey (Columbia, MD / Wilde Lake) provided him with an assisting pass. Junior Camden Stramanak (Annapolis, MD / Annapolis), one of the defenders who scored today, tallied his first with 3:29 to go in the first quarter.
- The Yellow Jackets opened the game up in the second quarter. Smith scored his second of the day with 10:52 to go in the frame after an assist from Markovic. Markovic then got his second of the day with a goal with 6:59 to go in the second. Freshman Derek Marsilio (Harrisburg, PA / Bishop McDevitt) was credited with an assist on his goal. Senior defender Cole Churchill (Hillsborough, NC / Cedar Ridge) scored under a minute later. Following a BC turnover, fellow senior defender Austin Evans (Glen Allen, VA / Glen Allen) grabbed the ground ball and sent it ahead to junior Tyler Flora (Mechanicsville, VA / Hanover), who created the scoring opportunity with a pass to Churchill. Junior Ryan Tiffey (Columbia, MD / Wilde Lake) closed the period out with a score, which was assisted by junior Colin DiSesa (Ashland, VA / Hanover). R-MC had a 7-0 halftime lead.
- Bridgewater got two quick goals to begin the second half, but R-MC answered with two of its own within a two minute period. Ryan Tiffey got a pass from Andrew Tiffey for the score with 9:41 to go. Moments later, Andrew Tiffey took a pass from DiSesa to the cage to give R-MC a 9-2 lead. The Eagles added two more in a row, but R-MC finished the period with two goals. Andrew Tiffey scored once more as DiSesa sent him an assisting pass with the duo connecting for the second time in the frame. Marsilio finished the scoring in the third with a man-down goal in transition with 3:51 to go in the frame. Defender Evans sent him a helping pass as Evans tallied his second assist for his career.
- Both teams tallied a goal in the fourth quarter. With 11:11 left, Stramanak scored his second of the game -- as this time it was a defender-to-defender pass for the score. Churchill was credited with the assist on the play. Bridgewater added a final goal with 9:26 to go and settled the final at 12-5.
Inside The Numbers
- Senior Chris Cerrina (Ridgewood, NJ / Ridgewood) made 14 saves in goal, facing a total of 19 shots. He also picked up two ground balls.
- The defenders were also excellent in their native third as well. R-MC caused 14 turnovers on the day, with senior Merrick Wood (Arnold, MD / Severna Park) and freshman Cole Abid (Rockville, MD / Wootton) each tallying a team-high three caused turnovers. Evans, Stramanak and Churchill each caused one as well as did senior Matt Surock (Baltimore, MD / Loch Raven) and goalie Cerrina. Markovic, Andrew Tiffey and senior Ty Anderson (Chestertown, MD / Kent County) each had one as well.
- Flora led the team with five ground balls. Stramanak tallied four as well.
- Bridgewater held the faceoff edge 11-8, but junior Joe Maranto (Joppa, MD / Fallston) won six of the 11 he went out for.
Randolph-Macon will face Frostburg State on Tuesday at 1:00 PM. The game will be at Shenandoah University in Winchester – which is a change from the previously scheduled Warrenton, Va. (Highland School).