FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. - Junior attack Colin DiSesa (Ashland, Va./Hanover) recorded three goals and added one assist as the Randolph-Macon men's lacrosse team scored multiple goals in each quarter in posting an 11-4 season-opening victory at Methodist on Saturday afternoon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 11, Methodist 4
Location/Venue: Fayetteville, N.C./Monarch Stadium
Records: R-MC 1-0, MU 0-1
How It Happened
- Junior midfielder Brendan Markovic (Westminster, Md./Winters Mill) netted the first goal of the season for the Yellow Jackets, a man-up goal with 10:22 left in the first period. Senior midfielder Ty Anderson (Chestertown, Md./Kent County) scored a minute later on an assist by DiSesa to give R-MC a 2-0 lead, which would be the score after one quarter. The Yellow Jackets held a 12-2 advantage on shots in the initial period and an 8-2 edge in ground balls. R-MC won all three faceoffs and forced six turnovers.
- Junior attack Ryan Tiffey (Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake) netted his first goal of the season two minutes into the second quarter as the Yellow Jackets extended the lead to 3-0. Anderson would assist DiSesa on a man-up goal with 9:12 left in the period to make it 4-0. Junior attack Nate Malinowski (Middle River, Md./Boys' Latin) added a score 30 seconds later to push the lead to 5-0. The Monarchs would tally the next two goals and trail 5-2 at halftime. R-MC outshot MU 27-5 in the first half, held an 18-7 edge in ground balls and won 6 of 9 faceoffs.
- Junior Joe Maranto (Joppa, Md./Fallston) won the opening faceoff of the second half and junior midfielder Tyler Flora (Mechanicsville, Va./Hanover) snagged the ground ball. Flora would score on an assist by Anderson 19 seconds into the third quarter to give the visitors a 6-2 lead. Junior attack James Mahan (Salem, Va./Salem) notched his first goal of the season with 9:49 remaining in the period as the Yellow Jackets went up 7-2. Mahan would assist DiSesa on a goal two minutes later as the advantage grew to 8-2 with 7:55 left. After MU tallied its third goal, Markovic assisted on DiSesa's third goal in a man-down situation late in the quarter to give R-MC a 9-3 lead after three periods.
- After a goal by the Monarchs, freshman midfielder Brandon Smith (Richmond, Va./Douglas Freeman) netted his first collegiate goal four minutes into the final quarter to make it 10-4. Junior defender Camden Stramanak (Annapolis, Md./Annapolis) scored with two minutes remaining to make the final 11-4.
By The Numbers
- R-MC dominated offensively, holding a 58-14 advantage on shots. DiSesa led the Yellow Jackets with 11 shots, including six on goal. Tiffey had seven shots and Markovic added six, with both players having four shots on goal. Nine difference players scored for R-MC.
- The Yellow Jackets had 34 ground balls, compared to 14 by the Monarchs. Flora had 7 ground balls, while Anderson picked up 5.
- R-MC was successful on all 16 of its clears.
- The Yellow Jackets won 13 of 18 faceoffs. Sophomore Jack Silvernale (Warrenton, Va./Highland School) was successful on 7 of his 9 faceoffs.
- The R-MC defense forced 24 turnovers, while the Yellow Jackets committed just nine. Senior defender Austin Evans (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) had four caused turnovers.
- Senior goalkeeper Chris Cerrina (Ridgewood, N.J./Ridgewood) recorded four saves for the Yellow Jackets.
- R-MC won its season opener for the first time since a 10-8 victory over Piedmont (Ga.) to kick off the 2015 season.
- The Yellow Jackets defeated Methodist for the second straight season.
- Randolph-Macon has its home opener on Saturday, Feb. 16 with a noon contest against Catholic on Day Field.