LYNCHBURG, Va. – Junior Buzz Anthony (Arnold, Md./Archbishop Spalding) had game highs with 10 rebounds and 15 points, one of four Yellow Jackets to score in double figures, as the 12th-ranked Randolph-Macon men's basketball team posted an 81-48 victory at Randolph in ODAC action Sunday afternoon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 81, Randolph 48
Location/Venue: Lynchburg, Va./RAC Center
Records: R-MC 7-0, 2-0 ODAC; Randolph 2-4, 0-1 ODAC
How it Happened:
- The Wildcats jumped out to a quick 12-4 lead in the game's first five minutes before a layup and three-pointer by sophomore Ian Robertson (Lewes, Del./Cape Henlopen) capped a 13-0 run as the Yellow Jackets took a 17-12 lead with 11:05 left in the first half. A pair of layups by Anthony gave R-MC a 27-16 edge with just over seven minutes remaining in the half. The Yellow Jackets ended the period on a 7-1 spurt, as Robertson scored inside, senior Corey Bays (Bel Air, Md./CM Wright) buried a trey and Anthony hit a jumper in the lane just before the buzzer as R-MC took a 43-27 lead at intermission. Anthony had 13 points and seven boards, while Robertson added nine points. The Yellow Jackets shot 64% from the floor (18-28), while holding the Wildcats to 35% from the floor (11-31) and 13% on treys (2-15).
- The second half started with a pair of three-pointers by senior Korey Turner (Midlothian, Va./Amelia Academy) and a long jumper by freshman Miles Mallory (Beltsville, Md./St. Vincent Pallotti) as R-MC took its largest lead at 51-27 with 16:20 left in the second period. Another trey by Turner with 7:10 remaining gave the Yellow Jackets a 27-point advantage at 63-36. After a triple by Randolph, senior Kent Kilgroe (St. Petersburg, Fla./Shorecrest Prep) had a follow, while freshman Josh Talbert (Virginia Beach, Va./Kellam) had a three-point play and a layup to give the visitors a 70-39 lead with 5:30 left. Talbert ended the game with a trey and a layup as R-MC matched its largest lead in the final score of 81-48.
By The Numbers:
- Anthony recorded his fifth career double-double. This was the first with points and rebounds. The previous four were with points and assists. Anthony matched his career high with 10 boards.
- Talbert finished with 14 points, tallying 12 in the second half. He was 6 for 7 from the floor.
- Turner had a season-high 12 points, going 3 for 3 from beyond the arc.
- Robertson was the fourth Yellow Jacket to score in double figures. He finished with a dozen.
- R-MC shot 54% from the floor (33-61). The Yellow Jackets hit 6 of their 7 free throws.
- The R-MC defense held Randolph to 32% field goal percentage (19-60) and 17% on three-pointers (4-23).
- The Yellow Jackets had a 40-34 edge on the boards. Talbert had six rebounds. Juniors David Funderburg (Greensboro, N.C./Northwest Guilford) and Terry Woods (Burlington, N.C./Burlington School) both grabbed four.
- Anthony paced the victors with four assists. The Yellow Jackets had nine different players record at least one assist.
For The Record
- R-MC has won seven straight games against the Wildcats, including four in this calendar year of 2019.
- The Yellow Jackets have held five of seven opponents to 50 points or less this season.
- Randolph-Macon will have its home opener on Wednesday, Dec. 4 at 7 p.m. against Bridgewater in ODAC action.