HAMPDEN-SYDNEY, Va. – A pair of Yellow Jackets hit double-digits by halftime as Men's Basketball outscored Hampden-Sydney 48-25 in the first half, en route to an 18-point win against their arch rivals Saturday afternoon. The big first half helped insulate the Yellow Jackets against a second-half run by the Tigers. Junior Buzz Anthony (Arnold, Md. / Archbishop Spalding) had 18 points in the opening half while senior Corey Bays (Bel Air, Md. / CM Wright) earned 10 points in the same span.
Score: #24 Randolph-Macon 82, Hampden-Sydney 64
Location/Venue: Hampden-Sydney, Va./Kirby Fieldhouse
Records: Randolph-Macon (6-0), Hampden-Sydney (1-4)
How It Happened
- R-MC earned the first five points of the game as Bays scored a triple and Anthony converted a jumper over the first minute and a half. The two continued to lay it on from beyond-the-arc, tallying a three-pointer each, though H-SC added one as well before the 15:00-to-go mark.
- The Tigers got as close as two early on, but Anthony hit another three, as did junior Terry Woods (Burlington, N.C. / Burlington School). Overall, R-MC got a 15-5 run before the clock got under 10 to play, which put R-MC ahead 27-14.
- R-MC's defense shut out the Tiger offense for nearly four minutes of play, while meanwhile, the Yellow Jacket offense continued to advance its lead past the 30-point mark. The Yellow Jackets took a 48-25 advantage into the second half of play.
- Bays helped push R-MC into the second half. He hit a pair of three-pointers in the opening minutes of the period to put R-MC ahead 56-29.
- There were not many times R-MC did not get points off a trip down the floor, but H-SC was able to take advantage of two such opportunities before the 10:00 mark of the second half. The back-to-back Tiger runs cut the Yellow Jacket lead to 20 with 12:05 to go
- Freshman Josh Talbert (Virginia Beach, Va. / Kellam) did not let that stand for long. He had a series of critical plays, starting with a three-pointer at the 11:39 mark. He followed the big field goal up with a dunk to put R-MC ahead 68-43 with 11:10 to go.
- R-MC did get into a cold spell as H-SC got on a 16-3 run over seven of the final eight minutes. But the previous 32 minutes had set the Yellow Jackets up to withstand the run. That, along with great three-pointers in the final minute and a half, helped R-MC claim victory 82-64. Woods and Anthony had the final moments three-pointers, including a buzzer-beater at the end by Anthony.
Inside The Numbers
- Randolph-Macon is still ranked as the 24th team in the nation by D3hoops.com.
- Anthony led the team with a season-high 27 points, including six three-pointers and all three of his free-throw chances. Anthony also dished out a team-high five assists and grabbed seven rebounds.
- Bays finished with 16 points and collected four rebounds as well as an assist and a steal.
- Freshman Miles Mallory (Beltsville, Md. / St. Vincent Pallotti) had one of the most balanced days on the court. He had eight points and eight rebounds but also added five blocks and two assists. This was Mallory's second five-block contest this season already. He matched the feat against Messiah on November 16.
- Talbert earned ten points off the bench as well as one rebound, one assist and a steal.
- Junior David Funderburg (Greensboro, N.C. / Northwest Guilford) grabbed a team-high two steals. Funderburg along with sophomore Ian Robertson (Lewes, Del. / Cape Henlopen) grabbed five rebounds each.
Randolph-Macon leaves the month of November unblemished. R-MC next heads to Lynchburg to face Randolph on Sunday, December 1 for a 4:00 PM contest.