GRANTHAM, Pa. – Freshman Miles Mallory (Beltsville, Md./St. Vincent Pallotti) recorded his first collegiate double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds, and sophomore Ian Robertson (Lewes, Del./Cape Henlopen) led all scorers with 17 points, as the 24th-ranked Randolph-Macon men's basketball team defeated Messiah to win the Messiah Tip-Off Tournament on Saturday afternoon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 63, Messiah 50
Location/Venue: Grantham, Pa./Jordan Court in Hitchcock Arena
Records: R-MC 4-0, Messiah 2-1
How it Happened:
- Robertson, senior Corey Bays (Bel Air, Md./CM Wright) and Mallory all had early baskets as the Yellow Jackets jumped out to a 6-1 lead. The Falcons used a 12-4 spurt to take a 13-10 edge seven minutes into the contest. Robertson hit consecutive three-pointers as R-MC reclaimed the lead at 16-13 with 11 minutes remaining in the first half. Messiah had an 11-3 run to take a five-point lead at 24-19 with 4:44 left. Junior Terry Woods (Burlington, N.C./Burlington School) hit a free throw and senior Kent Kilgroe (St. Petersburg, Fla./Shorecrest) buried a trey as the visitors pulled within one with 3:45 remaining. Junior Buzz Anthony (Arnold, Md./Archbishop Spalding) had a bucket and a pair of free throws late as the teams were tied at 29-29 at intermission.
- Neither team could build a sizeable lead early in the second half. The Falcons led 45-43 with eight minutes left before Robertson hit a pair of three-pointers to spark an 18-0 run as R-MC went ahead 61-45 with 2:25 remaining. Woods had two buckets and a free throw during the run. Freshman Josh Talbert (Virginia Beach, Va./Kellam) hit a trey to cap the run with 2:25 remaining. Woods hit two free throws with 1:50 left that finished the scoring for the Yellow Jackets as they posted a 63-50 victory.
By The Numbers:
- Mallory went 6 for 11 from the floor. Two of his 10 rebounds were offensive boards. He also had five blocked shots and three steals.
- Robertson went 6 for 10 from the floor and was 4 for 7 on three-pointers.
- Anthony had 10 points and Woods added nine. Talbert topped the team with five assists.
- R-MC committed just 7 turnovers, compared to 14 by the Falcons.
- The Yellow Jackets had a 20-8 advantage in bench points.
For The Record
- R-MC has held each of its first four opponents to 50 points or less.
- Randolph-Macon will begin ODAC play on Wednesday, Nov. 20 with a 7 p.m. contest at Washington and Lee.