ST. MARY'S CITY, Md. – Randolph-Macon Men's Basketball crossed the half-century mark by the time the teams hit the locker rooms at halftime. Meanwhile, a strong defensive effort shut down the St. Mary's Seahawks as the Yellow Jackets emerged from the Dan Greene/Wayne Cook Memorial Tournament at St. Mary's undefeated in what was also the team's opening weekend.
Score: Randolph-Macon 84, St. Mary's 40
Location/Venue: St. Mary's City, Md./Michael P. O'Brien ARC Arena
Records: Randolph-Macon (2-0), St. Mary's (0-2)
How It Happened
- The tone was set nearly immediately. A minute into the game, senior Corey Bays (Bel Air, Md. / CM Wright) earned a three-pointer and the Yellow Jackets stole the ball back just moments later, as freshman Miles Mallory (Beltsville, Md. / St. Vincent Pallotti) gained the SMC turnover. The sequence was capped by a three-pointer by sophomore Ian Robertson (Lewes, Del. / Cape Henlopen) and the Yellow Jackets were quickly ahead 6-0.
- Mallory added a layup and Bays went for three more as the Yellow Jackets extended the lead out to nine. St. Mary's never could get anything going as the Yellow Jackets kept piling it on. Around the 13:00 mark, the Yellow Jackets got back-to-back threes from freshman Josh Talbert (Virginia Beach, Va. / Kellam) and junior Buzz Anthony (Arnold, Md. / Archbishop Spalding) to go ahead 21-4.
- It took nearly 15 minutes of play before the Seahawks could string together more than one bucket in a row, a testament to R-MC's tough defense.
- Bays finished out the period with two straight triples to settle the halftime score at 51-18.
- Over the first five minutes of play, the Yellow Jackets proved that no momentum had been lost in the break. R-MC went on an 11-4 run over the first five minutes, which extended the lead to 40 at 62-22.
- As the second half progressed, R-MC never allowed St. Mary's to get into an offensive set. The Yellow Jackets staunch defense didn't allow back-to-back made shots until nearly the five-minutes left mark, which helped settle the final score at 84-40.
Inside The Numbers
- Bays led the Yellow Jackets with 18 points. Every one of his field goals and field goal attempts was a three-pointer today, shooting nearly 55% from beyond the arc. He also led the Yellow Jackets on the boards, grabbing 11, which matched a career-high that he last set against Albright in a 82-69 on November 16th last season.
- Mallory finished with 14 points and seven boards. Robertson was close behind with 13 points and five rebounds as well as four assists and a pair of blocks, which was a team-high.
- Talbert and junior Terry Woods (Burlington, N.C. / Burlington School) both collected two steals. Talbert finished with seven points while Woods collected 12. Both players accounted for all of R-MC's free throws today, with Woods going 4-4 and Talbert going 2-2 from the charity stripe.
- The Yellow Jackets won the turnover battle, giving up just eight while forcing 17.
- The Yellow Jackets shot 47.1% from the field while forcing St. Mary's to shoot under 30%.
Randolph-Macon will play in the Messiah Tournament next weekend. R-MC will face Ursinus at 5:00 PM on Friday afternoon. The second game of the tournament on Saturday will be decided by the results of Friday's contests. The hosting Falcons will take on Clarks Summit University at 7:30 Friday evening.