ST. MARY'S CITY, Md. – Junior Terry Woods (Burlington, N.C./Burlington School) came off the bench to tally 15 points, five rebounds and five assists, while freshman Josh Talbert (Virginia Beach, Va./Kellam) led all scorers with 17, as the 24th-ranked Randolph-Macon men's basketball team christened the 2019-20 season with a 74-47 victory over Washington College on Saturday afternoon in the Dan Greene/Wayne Cook Memorial Tournament.
Score: Randolph-Macon 74, Washington College 47
Location/Venue: St. Mary's City, Md./MPOBARC Arena
Records: R-MC 1-0, WC 1-1
How it Happened:
- Freshman Miles Mallory (Beltsville, Md./St. Vincent Pallotti) had the first bucket of the game for the Yellow Jackets. Junior Buzz Anthony (Arnold, Md./Archbishop Spalding) assisted Mallory's layup, hit two free throws, and assisted a three-pointer by senior Korey Turner (Midlothian, Va./Amelia Academy) as R-MC bolted out to a 7-0 lead. The Shoremen closed within two before a Talbert layup capped a 13-1 run as R-MC went up 20-6 seven minutes into the contest. A trey by Woods with two minutes left in the first half put the Yellow Jackets up 20 at 35-15. An old-fashioned three-point play by Woods with five seconds left gave R-MC its largest lead at 41-18 at intermission.
- As his did in the first period, Mallory had the first bucket of the second stanza to spark a 6-2 spurt as the Yellow Jackets led 47-20 with 16:45 remaining. A three-pointer by sophomore Ian Robertson (Lewes, Del./Cape Henlopen) made it a 30-point game at 56-26 with 11 minutes left. The lead stayed in the 20's most of the rest of the way before R-MC posted a 74-47 victory.
By The Numbers:
- R-MC shot 47% from the floor (29-62), 37.5% on three-pointers (9-24) and 70% from the charity stripe. Woods was 6 for 10 on field goals, 2-2 on treys and 1-1 from the free throw line.
- Mallory and Robertson both scored eight, while senior Kent Kilgroe (St. Petersburg, Fla./Shorecrest Prep) added seven points, going 3 for 3 from the floor with one trey.
- The Yellow Jackets held a 49-27 advantage on the boards. Mallory led all players with 10 boards and also had three blocked shots.
- The R-MC defense held WC to 27.5% shooting from the floor (14-51) and 28% from beyond the arc (5-18). The Yellow Jackets forced 18 turnovers.
- Randolph-Macon will conclude the Dan Greene/Wayne Cook Memorial Tournament on Sunday, facing host St. Mary's (Md.) at noon.