RICHMOND, Va. – Freshman Miles Mallory (Beltsville, Md./St. Vincent Pallotti) scored 12 points and grabbed seven rebounds, while junior Buzz Anthony (Arnold, Md./Archbishop Spalding) had nine points, eight rebounds, six assists and three steals, as the 24th-ranked Randolph-Macon men's basketball team lost 70-57 at Division I University of Richmond on Sunday evening.
Score: Richmond 70, Randolph-Macon 57
Location/Venue: Richmond, Va./Robins Center
How it Happened:
- The Spiders had the first three-pointer of the game before Anthony hit a trey to even the score at 3-3 two minutes into the contest. UR would score 10 straight before a follow by sophomore James Nworah (Roanoke, Va./North Cross) halted the run. UR went up 19-7 before a three-pointer by freshman Josh Talbert (Virginia Beach, Va./Kellam) capped an 8-0 spurt as R-MC pulled within four at 19-15 with 7:50 left in the first half. The Spiders pushed the lead back to six at 23-17 before consecutive treys by seniors Kent Kilgroe (St. Petersburg, Fla./Shorecrest) and Corey Bays (Bel Air, Md./CM Wright) tied the score at 23-23 with 4:25 remaining. After a bucket by the Spiders, a three-pointer by senior Korey Turner (Midlothian, Va./Amelia Academy) gave R-MC its first lead at 26-25 with 1:40 left. UR would record the final five points of the half and take a 30-26 lead at intermission. Nine different players scored for the Yellow Jackets in the first period and five hit three-pointers. Anthony had seven points, four rebounds, four assists and two steals in the first half.
- Bays would bury a trey one minute into the second half to pull R-MC within one at 30-29. UR would score 11 straight points before a layup by junior Terry Woods (Burlington, N.C./Burlington School) halted the streak, making it 41-31 with 16:00 remaining. A three-pointer by Talbert pulled the Yellow Jackets within eight at 43-35 with just under 15 minutes left. The Spiders were up 12 before a pair of free throws by Talbert and two baseline jumpers by Mallory cut the deficit in half at 53-47 with 8:10 remaining. UR would use a 12-4 spurt to take a 65-51 advantage with 4:20 left. The Spiders would eventually record a 70-57 victory.
By The Numbers:
- R-MC held a 37-36 edge on the boards. The Yellow Jackets had 10 offensive rebounds and held a 14-3 advantage in second chance points.
- The Yellow Jackets had a 21-14 advantage in bench points. Talbert finished with 10 points off the bench in 18 minutes.
- R-MC went 10 for 14 from the free throw line for 71.4%. Six different Yellow Jackets visited the charity stripe.
- Randolph-Macon will begin the regular season this weekend in the Dan Greene Memorial Tournament. The Yellow Jackets will face Washington College on Saturday, Nov. 9 at 2 p.m. R-MC will meet host St. Mary's (Md.) on Sunday, Nov. 10 at noon.