ASHLAND, Va. - Senior Luke Neeley (Orange, Va./Woodberry Forest) scored a career-high 20 on Senior Day in his first start of the season as the 9th-ranked Randolph-Macon men's basketball team defeated Roanoke 71-51 in ODAC action on Saturday evening in Crenshaw Gym.
Score: Randolph-Macon 71, Roanoke 51
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: R-MC 20-2, 12-1 ODAC; RC 15-7, 8-5 ODAC
How It Happened
- Senior Jon Nowell (Riverdale, Ga./Blair Academy) made a layup and Neeley nailed a three-pointer as the Yellow Jackets took a 5-0 lead three minutes into the contest, a lead they would not relinquish. Another trey by Neeley made it 8-2 and a bonus ball by sophomore Buzz Anthony (Arnold, Md./Archbishop Spalding) gave R-MC a 14-4 advantage with 12:45 left in the first period. The Maroons pulled with five at 18-13 before a bucket by Nowell capped a 14-4 spurt as the Yellow Jackets took a 32-17 lead with 2:45 remaining. Anthony hit a pair of free throws and hit a jumper in the lane with two seconds left as R-MC took a 39-21 lead at halftime. Neeley had 17 points in the first half, while Anthony tallied seven.
- A basket by senior Darryl Williams (Columbia, Md./Glenelg Country) pushed the advantage to 20 at 41-21 early in the second half. A layup by sophomore David Funderburg (Greensboro, N.C./Northwest Guilford) made the margin two dozen at 58-34 with 11 minutes remaining. A bucket in the paint by Williams gave R-MC its largest lead at 28 at 64-36 with 6:30 left. The Yellow Jackets would eventually secure the 71-51 victory.
By The Numbers
- Neeley shot 7 for 12 from the floor and 6 for 10 from beyond the arc. He also had a career-best 3 steals. Neeley made his first start of the season and just his second career start.
- R-MC had two score in double figures, as Anthony registered 16 points.
- Williams finished with 8 points, while Nowell added 7 and Midulla scored 4.
- Midulla paced the victors with 7 assists. R-MC had 18 assists with just 7 turnovers.
- The Yellow Jackets had a 30-27 advantage on the boards. Nowell and Midulla both pulled down six rebounds.
- R-MC extended its win streak to seven.
- The Yellow Jackets reached 20 wins for the first time since going 28-3 during the 2014-15 season.
- R-MC has won four straight, 17 of the past 18 and 31 of the past 33 meetings with Roanoke.
- Randolph-Macon renews its rivalry with Hampden-Sydney on Wednesday, February 6 at 7 p.m. in Crenshaw Gym. General admission tickets will be available at the door for $10.