BRIDGEWATER, Va. - Sophomore Terry Woods (Burlington, N.C./Burlington School) scored a career-high 11 points and went 6 for 6 from the free throw line in overtime as the 16th-ranked Randolph-Macon men's basketball team won at Bridgewater 87-79 Wednesday evening.
Score: Randolph-Macon 87, Bridgewater 79
Location/Venue: Bridgewater, Va./Nininger Hall
Records: R-MC 15-2, 7-1 ODAC; BC 7-10, 2-6 ODAC
How It Happened
- Senior Jon Nowell (Riverdale, Ga./Blair Academy) scored the first five points for the Yellow Jackets with a follow, a free throw and a dunk as R-MC took a 5-2 lead with 17:25 left in the first period. Sophomore Buzz Anthony (Arnold, Md./Archbishop Spalding) had two buckets and senior Luke Neeley (Orange, Va./Woodberry Forest) sank a pair of three-pointers in a 12-4 spurt as the Yellow Jackets went up 17-6 with 12:00 left. After the Eagles closed with seven at 17-10, a trey by Anthony capped a 14-2 run to give the visitors a 31-12 advantage with 6:10 remaining. A pair of foul shots by Anthony gave R-MC its largest lead of 21 points at 35-14 with 5:30 left. BC went 8 for 8 from the free throw line in the final three minutes as the Yellow Jackets took a 38-22 lead at intermission. Anthony had 13 points and four assists in the first half. The R-MC defense held the Eagles to five field goals and forced 13 turnovers in the first period.
- Senior Corey Bays (Bel Air, Md./CM Wright) buried a three-pointer on R-MC's first possession of the second half to give the Yellow Jackets a 41-22 lead. BC used an 11-2 run to pull within 10 at 43-33 with 14:55 left in the second period. Buckets by seniors Darryl Williams (Columbia, Md./Glenelg Country) and Grayson Midulla (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) pushed the advantage back to 14 at 47-33 with 13:40 remaining. The Eagles moved within nine before consecutive layups by Midulla put R-MC up 58-43 with 7:45 left. BC put together a 19-6 run to pull within two at 64-62 with 2:48 remaining. Two foul shots by Anthony extended the R-MC advantage to four before a trey by the Eagles made it 66-65 with 2:10 left. A one-hander by Neeley in the lane with 40.6 seconds left gave the Yellow Jackets a 68-65 edge. BC tied it at 68-68 with a trey with 16.1 seconds remaining. Anthony missed a late jumper to send the game to overtime.
- R-MC won the tap and Bays hit a three-pointer to give the Yellow Jackets a 71-68 edge. A layup by Midulla extended the lead to five at 73-68. R-MC led 80-74 with 1:13 left before Woods went 6 for 6 from the free throw line as R-MC posted an 87-79 victory.
By The Numbers
- The Yellow Jackets had five players score in double figures. Bays led R-MC with 17 points, while Anthony added 16, Neeley put in 13, Midulla scored 12 and Woods tallied 11.
- R-MC had a 46-37 advantage on the boards. Nowell led all players with nine rebounds, while Bays and Anthony both corralled eight caroms.
- Anthony led the Yellow Jackets with six assists, while Woods and Midulla both recorded four assists.
- Bays had four steals and Anthony snagged three.
Randolph-Macon returns home to host Randolph on Saturday, Jan. 19 at 4:30 p.m. in Crenshaw Gym.