ASHLAND, Va. – Sophomore Katie Brookman (Culpeper, Va. / Eastern View) earned four goals as Randolph-Macon Field Hockey earned a shutout of Ferrum Saturday night. The Yellow Jackets also honored a trio of seniors in a pregame ceremony.
Score: Randolph-Macon 8, Ferrum 0
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (10-8, 5-3 ODAC), Ferrum (2-16, 0-8 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The Yellow Jackets got on the board first. Brookman tapped a shot in after receiving a pass from junior Maria Teresa Ambrogi-Torres (Richmond, Va. / Trinity Episcopal School). R-MC earned 14 shots total in the first frame.
- In the second period, Ambrogi-Torres lifted a shot over the goalkeeper's head in the 28th minute, to give R-MC the 2-0 lead heading into the second half. R-MC again was in double-figures for shots with 13.
- Ambrogi-Torres added another goal just moments into the third period. She took a pass from junior Ayanna Healy (Newport News, Va. / Woodside), who slipped the ball around the arc for Ambrogi-Torres to slot above the keeper to give R-MC the 3-0 advantage.
- Brookman added the next three in a row, spanning nearly seven minutes of play. The first came via a pass from freshman Anna Gale (Chesapeake, Va. / Great Bridge). Gale tapped the ball over to Brookman, who lifted the ball over the keeper's head and into the cage. Brookman's next shot came from nearly 15 yards out. She sent a rocket which cleared the keeper and hit the netting above the boards. Brookman's final goal of the evening came via a pass from freshman Summer Kujawa (Hampton, Va. / Kecoughtan). Kujawa inserted a penalty corner to Brookman, who sent a pass towards goal. The ball ricocheted off the keeper's pads and into the goal, giving R-MC the 6-0 lead with about ten minutes to go in the game.
- Kujawa was involved in the next goal as well. She sent a pass in towards the cage, where senior Liz Jacobs (Laurel, Md. / Atholton) was able to push a shot past the keeper and nailed the boards for R-MC's seventh goal of the night.
- R-MC ended its scoring run with about three minutes to go in the contest. Gale sent a try towards the cage, which landed for R-MC's eighth and final score. Freshman Catherine Magill (Moseley, Va. / Trinity Episcopal School) earned the assist for the play and the scoring settled at 8-0 in favor of R-MC.
Inside The Numbers
- Senior Katie Thompson (Burke, Va. / Lake Braddock) earned the win, her third of the year.
- Ferrum never earned a shot on the night as the defensive group of junior Claire Magill (Moseley, Va. / Trinity Episcopal School), sophomore Sydney Duimstra (Montpelier, Va. / Deep Run) and Jacobs helped prevent any Panther player to get into the attacking third for most of the night.
- Brookman led the Yellow Jackets with 11 shots. Healy and Ambrogi-Torres added eight shots each.
- Jacobs, Thompson and senior Jessica Cooke (Williamsburg, Va. / Warhill) were honored in a pregame ceremony. The three are the team's seniors and will graduate in the Spring. Cooke played a huge role in the midfield tonight, working with the defensive squad to prevent a Ferrum advance. She also took a pair of shots, both on goal.
- With her two goals tonight, Ambrogi-Torres slipped into the third spot for most goals this season in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference with 16. She is also fourth for points with 38.
The Yellow Jackets will host a quarterfinal match on Tuesday. R-MC, the fourth seed in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference Tournament, will host Roanoke, the fifth seed, at 3:00 PM on Tuesday.
There will be a charge for tickets to the quarterfinal match. Adults will cost $10 each, while children 5-18 are $5. Students of the participating institutions and children under five are free.