LEXINGTON, Va. – Randolph-Macon scored first and held the lead for much of the game, but the Washington and Lee Generals were able to score two unanswered, including the overtime game-winner in a hotly contested Old Dominion Athletic Conference battle Saturday afternoon.
Score: Washington & Lee 2, Randolph-Macon 1 (OT)
Location/Venue: W&L Turf Field/Lexington, Va.
Records: W&L (8-6, 5-1 ODAC), Randolph-Macon (8-8, 3-3 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon earned some of the first offensive opportunities in the contest. Maria Teresa Ambrogi-Torres (Richmond, Va. / Trinity Episcopal School) took a pair of shots around the two minute mark, which was followed up by a shot by freshman Catherine Magill (Moseley, Va. / Trinity Episcopal School), but none fell on goal and the teams left the frame without a score.
- R-MC faced a few shots early in the second period, but sophomore Gatlin Snyder (Powhatan, Va. / Powhatan) made a save and another shot went wide.
- The Yellow Jackets broke the score early in the second frame. Sophomore Katie Brookman (Culpeper, Va. / Eastern View) took a pass from junior Madison McCoy (Fredericksburg, Va. / Stafford) at the center of the circle. Brookman struck it into the left corner for the score while McCoy earned the assist.
- Despite an offensive barrage in the third quarter, R-MC's defense was able to hold off the Generals for much of the frame. But W&L did even the score with around a minute and a half left in the period as a shot from Abigail Hancock made it into the cage to even the score at 1-1.
- The offense all but stopped in the contest in the fourth quarter, as the midfield and defensive units for both squads forced overtime.
- W&L netted a goal in the third minute of overtime, winning them the game on the golden goal, 2-1.
Inside The Numbers
- Snyder played the entire contest in goal and made 13 saves.
- Ambrogi-Torres led the team with four shots.
The Yellow Jackets will head out for another road contest at Virginia Wesleyan on Thursday at 6:00 PM.