ASHLAND, Va. – The Randolph-Macon field hockey team scored twice in the final seven minutes to erase a 1-0 deficit and nip Bridgewater 2-1 in ODAC action on Wednesday evening.
Score: Randolph-Macon 2, Bridgewater 1
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: Randolph-Macon 8-7, 3-2 ODAC; Bridgewater 4-11, 2-3 ODAC
How It Happened
- The Yellow Jackets dominated play in the first half but could not get a lead. R-MC had a 7-0 advantage in shots in the first quarter and 8-0 in the second period, but the game remained scoreless after 30 minutes. The Yellow Jackets had a 6-2 edge on penalty corners.
- The Eagles would snap the deadlock in the 38th minute as BC led 1-0 after three quarters.
- R-MC would net the equalizer in the 54th minute as junior Maria Teresa Abrogi-Torres (Richmond, Va./Trinity) scored on an assist by junior Ayanna Healy (Newport News, Va./Woodside) to level the score at 1-1.
- The Yellow Jackets would take the lead with 1:57 left in regulation. R-MC took its 12th penalty corner. Senior Elizabeth Jacobs (Laurel, Md./Atholton) fed junior Claire Magill (Moseley, Va./Trinity) on the right side of the goal. Magill lifted the ball over the heads of a defender and the goalkeeper to give the home team a 2-1 edge. R-MC would keep BC off the board the rest of the way, posting a 2-1 victory.
By The Numbers
- R-MC finished with a 24-6 advantage in shots. Magill led the victors with six shots, while Abrogi-Torres added five.
- The Yellow Jackets had 12 penalty corners, while the Eagles had four.
- Sophomore Gatlin Snyder (Powhatan, Va./Powhatan) had three saves, all coming in the second half.
- R-MC is 3-2 in ODAC play and sits in fourth in the conference standings.
- Randolph-Macon will travel to Washington and Lee on Saturday, Oct. 26 for a 2 p.m. ODAC contest.