ASHLAND, Va. – Junior Erin Barringer (Catonsville, Md. / Indian Creek Upper School) tallied a third-quarter goal and offered two assists as Randolph-Macon defeated the visiting Goucher Gophers Saturday afternoon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 6, Goucher 0
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (3-2), Goucher (3-2)
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon had control from the start. The R-MC offense had opportunities within the first five minutes of the game, though Goucher's defense blocked many of the chances. Still, the ball stayed on R-MC's attacking third for most of the first quarter. R-MC finally pushed through as junior Austyn Faries (Richmond, Va. / Monacan) scored the first R-MC goal of the day as she poked the ball into the cage from a rebounded save.
- From that point forward, Goucher did not get a single shot off. The R-MC defense of juniors Claire Magill (Moseley, Va. / Trinity Episcopal School) and Kendall Lewis (Suffolk, Va. / Lakeland) as well as sophomore Sydney Duimstra (Montpelier, Va. / Deep Run) and freshman Tori Mumm (Forest Hill, Md. / Bel Air) all shut down the Gopher attack for the rest of the game.
- Meantime, R-MC's offense was still clicking. Midway through the second frame, junior Ayanna Healy (Newport News, Va. / Woodside) scored as she tipped the ball into the cage off a hard pass in from Barringer, who was credited with her first assist of the afternoon.
- Barringer put the ball in the cage herself after the halftime break. She tipped the ball to the cage while it was in midair after sophomore Katie Brookman (Culpeper, Va. / Eastern View) sent a hard shot towards goal following an R-MC penalty corner. The ball flew over all the defenders to tally the Yellow Jackets' third score of the game.
- About five minutes later, Brookman got her first goal of the season. As she tried to make a pass to an open teammate, the GC goalkeeper interrupted the effort. But Brookman collected the rebound herself and shot it into the open cage.
- R-MC added two more in the fourth period. Magill tallied her second score of the season off a penalty corner about five minutes into the frame. Her shot towards goal jumped over all of the defenders and hit the cage for the score. Sophomore Abby Sloan (Chester, Va. / Thomas Dale) earned the assist for her penalty corner insert.
- Junior Maria Teresa Ambrogi-Torres (Richmond, Va. / Trinity Episcopal School) finished the scoring for the day, as she took a pass from Barringer and again launched the ball over the defense. The ball hit the cage, tallying the goal.
Inside The Numbers
- Sophomore Gatlin Snyder (Powhatan, Va. / Powhatan) earned the win and made the save on the only shot on goal she faced today.
- Faries led the team with seven shots, five of which were on goal. Ambrogi-Torres tallied six shots with three on goal. Healy also tallied four shots on goal.
- R-MC made 29 shots total on the day.
- The Yellow Jackets earned 12 penalty corners compared to Goucher's three.
Randolph-Macon will face Catholic at home on Wednesday night. The game is slated to begin at 7:30 PM.