ASHLAND, Va. – Junior attack Maria Teresa Ambrogi-Torres (Richmond, Va./Trinity) tallied three goals and added an assist as the Randolph-Macon field hockey team dominated Southern Virginia 9-0 on Wednesday evening on Day Field.
Score: Randolph-Macon 9, Southern Virginia 0
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va. / Day Field
Records: Randolph-Macon 2-0, Southern Virginia 0-2
How it Happened:
- Ambrogi-Torres assisted on the first goal of the game two minutes into the contest as junior attack Austyn Faries (Richmond, Va./Monacan) redirected a pass from the top of the circle to give the Yellow Jackets a 1-0 lead. Ambrogi-Torres beat the keeper 10 minutes into the game, assisted by senior midfielder Elizabeth Jacobs (Laurel, Md./Atholton), to give the home team a 2-0 lead. Junior attack Madison McCoy (Fredericksburg, Va./Stafford) added a score 30 seconds later as R-MC led 3-0 after one quarter.
- Eleven minutes into the second period, Ambrogi-Torres lifted a shot over the goalie's head, assisted by Faries, as the Yellow Jackets led 4-0 at halftime. R-MC held a 34-0 advantage on shots in the first half.
- McCoy recorded her second goal one minute into the third quarter and Ambrogi-Torres registered her third score one minute later on an assist by junior attack Ayanna Healy (Newport News, Va./Woodside) to make it a 6-0 game. Freshman attack Catherine Magill (Moseley, Va./Trinity) scored her first collegiate goal with 37 seconds left in the period as the Yellow Jackets were up 7-0 after three.
- Faries scored early in the final quarter and freshman attack Anna Gale (Chesapeake, Va./Great Bridge) had the final goal of the game as R-MC finished with a 9-0 victory.
- R-MC had a 60-0 advantage in shots. Ambrogi-Torres paced the Yellow Jackets with 12 shots, including 10 on goal. Sophomore midfielder Katie Brookman (Culpeper, Va./Eastern View) and freshman midfielder Summer Kujawa (Hampton, Va./Kecoughtan) both had six shots and three shots on goal.
- The Yellow Jackets had a 15-1 edge in penalty corners, including 12-0 in the first half.
- Randolph-Macon will play at No. 5 Johns Hopkins on Friday, Sept. 6 at 7 p.m.