WESTMINSTER, Md. – Juniors Madison McCoy (Fredericksburg, Va. / Stafford) and Austyn Faries (Richmond, Va. / Monacan) each scored a pair of goals as Randolph-Macon field hockey exploded in the second half in a 6-0 victory.
Score: Randolph-Macon 6, McDaniel 0
Location/Venue: Westminster, Md./Gill Stadium
Records: Randolph-Macon (1-0), McDaniel (0-1)
How It Happened
- Both teams played a more defensive game early. Just three shots came across the face of goal between the first and second quarters, with R-MC accounting for two of the three. NCAA Field Hockey is now played across four 15-minute quarters as opposed to two 35-minute halves as in previous years.
- But Randolph-Macon exploded in the third and fourth quarters. Two minutes into the third period, Faries scored her first on a pass from the right baseline coming from junior Maria Teresa Ambrogi-Torres (Richmond, Va. / Trinity Episcopal School). Moments later, junior Claire Magill (Moseley, Va. / Trinity Episcopal School) scored after junior Kathleen Tanner (Spotsylvania, Va. / Riverbend) passed it ahead to her for the score. McCoy ended the R-MC scoring in the frame with a goal as she slipped it past the diving keeper. Junior Ayanna Healy (Newport News, Va. / Woodside) earned he assist on the goal.
- Faries kept the onslaught up with an unassisted goal after a rebound on her own shot. Faries then helped out on McCoy's second goal of the night as she slipped it into the open goal from the top of the circle in the 53rd minute. Junior Kaylene Thomas (Suffolk, Va. / Lakeland) finished the scoring for the night after freshman Anna Gale (Chesapeake, Va. / Great Bridge) passed it from the left post for Thomas to finish at center.
Inside The Numbers
- The shot by McDaniel in the second quarter was their lone of the game as the R-MC defense stood strong for all four quarters. The defense was anchored by Magill, junior Megan May (Hayes, Va. / Gloucester) and sophomore Sydney Duimstra (Montpelier, Va. / Deep Run). Sophomore keeper Gatlin Snyder (Powhatan, Va. / Powhatan) made the lone save.
- R-MC tallied 16 total shots, with 14 landing on goal.
- Randolph-Macon had six penalty corner chances, of which one helped setup a goal.
- Faries and McCoy led the Yellow Jackets with four shots each.
Randolph-Macon will have its home opener on Wednesday evening at 7:30 PM at Day Field against Southern Virginia.